Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Totally confused with shower fixtures...

Posted by alina_1 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 14:43

I started looking for faucet and shower fixtures for our master bath remodeling and I realized that I am totally confused.

We will have in our bath:

• Double sink vanity - will need two single hole faucets

• Tub - will need a tub filler, shower head and hand held shower

• Shower with frameless glass inclosure - will need rain shower head, hand held shower and jets (possibly). Rain head should be wall mounted because we have a sloped ceiling.

I planned to spend no more than $1500 on all fixtures. They should be brushed nickel or stainless steel and contemporary.

I bought a shower tower at Costco - it already has rain shower head, hand held shower, and built-in thermostatic valve. The price was $400 on sale. I am not crazy about the design, but it is acceptable.

Now, I am thinking about Hansgrohe fixtures that has great reviews here on this forum and on retailers' sites. They are very expensive for our budget, but to figure out whether we can afford them, I need to know what exactly we need to buy.

And I got lost at this point...
I was thinking about this Raindance kit for the shower.
My questions:

1. If I buy this kit, what matching pieces and other fixtures (for installation?) I should buy for my tub and vanity?

2. Is this kit just a trim and I need some other plumbing fixtures?

3. If I buy it, can jets be purchased separately and installed with it?

4. Besides jet trim, what else should I buy for jets?

5. Is it worth to install jets or it is just a waste of money?

And one more question.
Does someone has any experience with La Toscana showers? They are cheaper than Hansgrohe and look nice. I was wondering if the quality is OK..

Any other thoughts or advices?

TIA for your help!

This post was edited by alina_1 on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 15:01

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Totally confused with shower fixtures...

The system you linked to includes valves. You don't need anything else and it should be a fairly simple install. Your hot and cold supply lines will connect directly to the unit. Hot cold/water will be mixed inside the unit and depending on the position of the included diverter valve, will go through the units piping to the rain or handheld shower.

As for jets - the short answer is you can't easily add them to this unit. For your budget I would recommend forgetting the jets and putting all your money towards quality fixtures.

Hope that is helpful... would offer more guidance/ explanation but just learning all this myself. Do some digging on this forum, there are a lot of helpful threads.

o

Thanks for your reply!

I've been reading similar threads for hours now.
Still, so many questions..

A main question for now - how I can tell the quality of the fixture besides reading the reviews? What should I look for in the description/specs? What I should splurge on and where I can save? I try to stay with the budget, but I do not want to buy a piece of junk or to have constant repairs in the future.
I found a nice looking Delta line, but then I read that lots of parts are plastic - does not sound good..

o

Am I reading this correctly, you have two showers? One in the tub and one in a stall with a frameless door? Which one is the Costco tower for?

We also purchased a shower tower from Costco. Have had it for about a year now and I still like it. It included jets and all the ones they had at that time did also. Does the one you bought not also include jets?

Costco also had a hansgrohe single handle sink faucet that we purchased for our guest bathroom for about $50, Don't know if they have them now, but I've seen it there several times. I actually bought it a long time ago when they had a coupon for it in anticipation of this bathroom remodel. It was only installed a few weeks ago, but so far so good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here