Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-Rusting Shower Curtain Rods

Posted by jeff_90254 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 14:39

I can’t tell you how many shower curtain rods I replaced in our shower stall due to rust. Does anyone make a high quality adjustable rod in a brushed nickel or satin finish that will maintain its appearance? Stainless would be great.

Perhaps I have to bite the bullet and get something fabricated?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-Rusting Shower Curtain Rods

I can’t tell you how many shower curtain rods I replaced in our shower stall due to rust.

Really? I can't ever remember having a shower curtain rod rust. I don't even remember them getting wet. Are you sure you don't have another problem and this is just a symptom? What is your ventilation like in the bathroom?

o

They usually have heavy enough plating to not have that much of a problem.

o

Positive. The curtain rod doesn't get wet directly, but is certainly in a humid environment and collects moisture due to it's location.

The vent fan works fine. This is a small bathroom measuring about 8' x 8' x 5'.

o

I have a rusted one now in a BR with no vent fan. Hope to correct that soon, but yes the shower rod rusts. Plus I live in Hawaii so the air is somewhat corrosive even though I don't live beachfront.

o

How long of a rod do you need? Not sure why you'd need an adjustable one, or worry about having something fabricated.

A $8 pipe cutter makes short work of a shower rod. Buy one longer than you need and cut it to length.

How does it hang in the shower? Is it one of these tension units? If that's the case you're likely out of luck finding something solid brass etc. You likely need a properly mounted shower rod with brackets permanently mounted to the walls to hold a solid brass, chrome plated rod that you cut to length.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here are some brass shower rods

o

Again - to emphasize - you need something made out of brass - it doesn't rust. That's why good faucets and bathroom fixtures are all cast from brass.

o

It doesn’t have to be adjustable. They’re just easier to buy that way. Right now I have one that telescopes out as it unscrews and presses against the side of the shower, holding by friction. That part works well. After a few years though, they all just seem to rust and look terrible.

You're right, it looks like I can just buy some brushed stainless or aluminum tubing at a local metal supply and cut to length. The shower walls are travertine and I can buy end clips that screw in permanently. Hopefully, *they* don’t rust. Thanks.

This post was edited by jeff_90254 on Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 0:36

o

You may want to try showerrods.com they carry shower rods that won't rust, and some high-quality ones too.

Your best bet are brass rods or stainless steel.

And if you need custom fabricated shower rods they can also create one to fit your shower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower Rods

o

Wow, an entire website dedicated to shower rods with every end flange style you could imagine!! Who'd have thunk it?

This is great Reed01 and exactly what I need. Thank you very much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here