Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave120

caulking for shower enclosure to tile is peeling away

dave120
12 years ago

I have a neo-angle shower that has a tiled curb and I installed a framed glass enclosure about 2 1/2 yrs ago. The problem I am having is that the base frame had to be resealed to the curb because water was leaking out the front of the shower frame through the bottom hinge insert for the door which I found a way to keep that from happening. The problem I am having now is the caulking seems to be peeling away from the frame allowing water to enter the frame again and flow out through the front. I lifted the entire frame to allow the whole area to dry completely before stripping all of the old caulking away. I have thoroughly cleaned the frame and tile areas with acetone where the caulk was applied. I allowed the caulk to set for 3 days prior to using the shower again. I used a kitchen and bath adhesive caulk to seal the entire enclosure and that caulk is still adhering to the main side rails which hold the glass sections and they have not seen any signs of peeling away. I was thinking of using a 100% silicone sealant instead of caulk. Would that work better or is there a better alternative? I really do not want to do this again, it is a major pain.

Thanks,

Comments (3)