Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY heated floors - install question

Posted by slowdowntohurryup (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 14:04

looking to buy the necessary materials for installing a Suntouch or equivalent brand of radiant floor mat. what all do I need in general to related to the actual heated mat system (not the tile install components).

I've been told that I can get by with just the mats and the thermostat - but I think it can't be that simple.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY heated floors - install question

Look online for the instructions. Generally you need to run a dedicated 20A circuit with a single-gang box to install the thermostat, then need an ohmmeter to measure resistance b4, during and after install, if drywall is already up you will need fish tape or stiff wire (and a drill) to pull the lead wires from mat up to thermostat box.

o

so from that --- sounds like the mats and the thermostat are all i need --- i'll bing google and see what yahoo I can find out

o

It is that simple. I've installed both of the systems in my two bathrooms.

I used Nuheat branded kits, and used the cables not the mats. Just easier to work around odd shaped corner showers etc.

Just the mat/cables and the thermostat. Follow the instructions, make sure you have the required electrical available to connect the thermostat too and you're set.

You must wait for the thinset to fully cure before turning on the heat. 4 weeks.

o

Hey Tim, I installed Nuheat in a straight run between range and sink, planned on putting it in master bath but lots of angles to get around tub, vanity, and through door into shower/WC room. Sounds like cable might be better. How much more does the cable add to floor height (mat is only 1/8"), does it go down the same day or do you need to use leveler over cable and wait to set tile?

Is cable and "clamps" (or whatever they call the strips they're looped through that are attached to your subfloor) less $ than mats? I was looking at $1000 for 3 standard mats (and the farthest one would need extra long leads to get back to Tstat), was going to have to get quote on custom mat. Cable sure sounds easier if it doesn't require leveling!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here