Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ella_and_luther_gw

help! anyone installed kohler laminar k-923 wall mount tub filler

Ella_and_Luther
13 years ago

I'm looking for anyone who can give me some first hand experience with the Kohler Laminar K-923 tub filler. I want to use this in a wall mount application which in Kohler's specs says you can (use it either to fill the tub from the ceiling or the wall). I've typically seen it installed in the ceiling though and am looking for additional information from anyone who has it wall mounted. I am looking to use it in conjunction with a freestanding tub mounted close enough to the wall in order to catch any drips. Question is - how close is close enough? Also curious how the water comes out when its not on full blast - i.e. those first few seconds when you just turn the water on and the last few seconds as you turn the water off.

Hoping someone out there can help me with some words of wisdom!

Comments (11)

• antss
    13 years ago

forgot to mention the K-923 is the LARGER if the laminar fillers and needs to be fed by AT LEAST 8 gallons a minute. Be certain your valve and pipes will supply this or the stream will look silly.

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

I've used laminar flow fillers in ceiling applications only. I frankly don't see any successful way to use them as a wall mount---technically OR stylewise. Laminar fills are all about minimization and clean lines and the cool factor you get from that ceiling fill with no splashing. If you wanted to use it as a wall filler, you might as well forgo the whole laminar bit and just get a plain tub filler.

• antss
    13 years ago

LWO - how are you getting no splashing with your ceiling mounts?

We get it with almost every install, no matter the tub selected. It's usually an acceptable amount but it's noticeable until there is about 3"-4" of water in the tub. Now, we are always using a huge tub and a 9' + ceiling so we have a perfect storm so to speak.

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

Well, if you put a washcloth directly under the flow "strike spot" when you fill, that will greatly reduce the splashing until there is enough water in the tub to absorb the force of the flow. Client #1 (an engi-nerd) with the filler showed me that one. I didn't mean to imply that there was absolutely no splashing, but it's not a tsunami in your bathroom! Bear in mind that I've only done 3 baths with the laminar filler---spread out timewise, so I'm not intimately familiar with the technical aspects like you are. Most of my clients are a lot more budget oriented in their bath choices!

• Ella_and_Luther
    Original Author
    13 years ago

live_wire_oak -
    The reason I was interested in using the laminar wall mount is because it would eliminate a 9" tub filler sticking out from the wall and being in the way of the bather (double ended soaker tub). I also have a large double hung window that is in a perpendicular wall that in theory could be opened up into the room (when cleaning) and if the person operating is not careful - could either a) break the window, b) break the filler, or c) break both.

Speaking of being budget oriented - that's actually why I started looking at this option. Originally I was looking to do a floor mounted classic style tub filler with handheld but they seem to be very pricey! $1500 - 2000? The only brand I saw that was more reasonably priced was "Elements of Design" but I haven't ever heard of them and am unsure of the brands quality. Also, seems like Kohler is easy to shop online and save $.

antss - How would I make sure that the plumber males sure my valves and pipes could supply 8 gpm? When my water pressure was tested I want to say it came in at 70-75. It is an old house but all the plumbing is being completely redone. Wouldn't my water pressure fluctuate depending on if the tub were the only fixture being filled vs. someone taking a shower, running the dishwasher, laundry, etc all at the same time? In other words, if the plumber hooks up the Laminar tub filler and tests the range of the arc of the water in order to determine the best location for the tub - isn't the arc going to change depending on the pressure?

I'm on the fence about using it. It could either work out perfectly and be cool because it's different, or it could be a total installation nightmare. Ahhhh, decisions, decisions!

• antss
    13 years ago

Thanks LWO - thought you might have stumbled on some sort of secret.

"How would I make sure that the plumber males sure my valves and pipes could supply 8 gpm"

You have a conversation with him and insist that the fill rate be part of the contract with a harsh penalty for a test failure if you are concerned about his competence.

You should also specify the valve yourself and be sure it will flow the requisite # of GPMs. It does not have to be a Kohler valve. DO not let your plumber just wing it on this one.

Re: the ARC - it should not change that much because modern valves combat this - especially ones that flow that amount of water.

You also bring up another point re: the use of other showers ect...Be sure your water heater will keep up with this demand AND will adequately provide for the needs of that tub as well as other uses at the same time. This will mean a large tank two smaller ones plus maybe a tempering valve , or a large on demand heater to just serve the tub, or a pair of on demands to serve the whole house or a hybrid system.

Better enlist the help of someone who has designed a few systems. Plumbers have all to tools/knowledge to do these clacs , but they sometimes forget them or just turn their brains off because most everyday jobs can be sized by habit.

BTW - you got my note about Kohler having two sizes of Laminar spouts ???

• davidro1
    13 years ago

I got the Geberit Cascading Tub Filler instead. Look into this product. There are many others like it too. In Italian, use the word "erogazione" if you want a precise word for key word searches on the web. Erogation.

3/4" pipe is sufficient to get the high flow you want. Any Master plumber can confirm this. Do not let a repair plumber install anything for you since you want stuff that is outside their comfort zone.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I started to consider this faucet in the last few days while searching for a wall mounted tub filler for my Kohler Tea for Two tub. Which tub do you have? And this is a dumb question, but I assume the lever/knob for turning the faucet on or off must be mounted on a wall adjacent to the tub, right?

Oh, and there is a drip tray for the faucet. I saw some selling on eBay as a set with the faucet.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

fwiw, emailing Kohler forces them to email answers back. The Kohler web site is often unclear. Kohler can write to you what they advise for "lever/knob for turning the faucet on or off ".

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Thanks Davidro.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!