Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
what_now

13X 6.6 ft bath. Need ideas pics included.

what_now
10 years ago

Potential new house (offer made).

The bath has a weird layout. Hate how the toilet has no
Privacy and is fairly prominent placement.

I rarely take a bath and would prefer a big tiled shower.
Also would like a linen cabinet.

I found a pic of a house with same plan to
Show the placement visually. I may be able to bump out in the bedroom for a toilet placement. Br is 13x15.

Any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics

Comments (11)

• what_now
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also added a design I came up with. Hate to lose the tub but maybe thats best in order to have big shower, linen and somewhat hidden toilet.

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

I hope you don't mind i put the images on. Makes it easier for member's to help. I would love to know what software you used to draw the design.

New house current bathroom

Potential design
    Not sure if enough room for toilet there. Area by window is vanity seating (wouldnt let me put counter accross) Shower could be bigger - didnt have option in program.

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

As far as my input on the potential design I don't care for the corner shower like you have it drawn in. I would hesitate to remove the tub, for resale it could be a deal breaker unless you did the shower so remarkable to outweigh the loss of a tub. I don't use my tub often but I do enjoy a nice long bath on occasion.

[Contemporary Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2103) by Philadelphia Architects & Designers k YODER design, LLC

• what_now
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wouldnt do a corner. I just didnt have any showers in the program that size. It would be a normal rectangular shower. I have checked with a local realtor. Most new houses are being built with a large master shower and no tub.
    The guest bath includes the tub. So I think for resale I am ok.
    The shower you posted above is what I would want. .

• what_now
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh by the way, I used Lowes free room designer. I believes its based on the program ikea uses for their kitchen designer. It has limitations, but it was free.

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

The toilet should have 33-35" for install and min. 20" (pref. more) in front, so let's say 34+20=54". You posted that wall is 66" (6'6"), leaving only 12" to the wall. There definitely is no room for a vanity there.

What kind of development are you in? Are most of the houses family homes or empty nesters? If empty nesters, removing the tub should be no problem b/c it's harder for us seniors to climb in and out. But, I am a little skeptical if your neighborhood is mostly families. Parents usually want to bathe in their own bath, for their own quiet time, or so as not to disturb sleeping children in bedrooms nearby.

This post was edited by canuckplayer on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 18:00

• what_now
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The short wall is exactly 80 inches. Sorry if I missed diving into feet. I believe a min of 76 would be required right?
    21 for the vanity, 20 for space, 35 for toilet. The toilet I want to use is 28.75 depth. Am I miscalculating?

• what_now
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The neighborhood is an older established area. It skud to single people and those older with grown kids. I will double check with a few other realtors to make sure.

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

My apologies. I read it as 6'6", and calculated as 66"..duh.
    I agree you could put in a make-up vanity here, but sitting at it may be tight though. Could you move the make-up vanity to the shower end? This would put a sink closer to the toilet, for hand washing, freeing wall space for hanging towels and give room behind the vanity seating.

With the toilet gone at the end of the shower, you could put a storage cabinet in it's place.

Just be aware that moving the toilet is very involved and expensive. A new waste line has to be run down and a new vent line has to be run up through the roof. Then both of the old ones must be removed and holes repaired. Water shouldn't be a problem, since it's on the same wall as the removed tub. It's just a matter of rerouting it in the wall to the toilet location.

This post was edited by canuckplayer on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 23:37

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

By the way, congrats on your purchase!!
    It's exciting moving into a new home, whether it's your first home or tenth.

• what_now
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I could do that but wasnt sure if it would be weird to have the sink in front of the window. With the vanity seating usually women use a makeup mirror on the counter. What do you think?

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA