Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bullnose or metal for shower wall and step edge?

Posted by janesylvia (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 13:59

I used to use bull nose for shower/tub wall edge. Now I am going to have my newly bought house remodeled. I found many tiles, especially ones from Porcelanosa, do not have bull nose. How does metal edge look compared to the bullnose one? My bathroom faucet etc are all brushed nickel. I don't know if polished nickel or satin nickel edge would look good.

Thank you very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bullnose or metal for shower wall and step edge?

I think that a metal edge can look very nice, particularly in more modern rooms, but our personal preference is bullnose. We were told by our tile supplier that the tile we chose doesn't come in bullnose. I took a sample tile to other suppliers to find a bullnose that would work with it and found my exact tile elsewhere...with the matching bullnose! It turns out that the first tile supplier "doesn't like" bullnose and they'll tell people that it's not available when its just not available through THEM.

That may be your situation at all but, just in case, I thought I'd mention it so that you can confirm bullnose availablilty on the manufacturers' websites if that's what you prefer to use.

If you do opt for a metal edge, I'd use satin nickel to match your other finishes and make it less obtrusive.

o

I used Schluter edge on my two baths and it looks great. Jolly for the tile edge and Rondec for my niche. The Rondec has corner pieces. You can see a photo on the thread I link to.

I prefer it over bullnose. I used bullnose in a third bath and wish I had used the Schluter instead.

They have all sorts of finishes that can choose from.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of metal edge

o

Here is a close up of the Rondec in my master bathroom.

Master Shower photo IMG_2091.jpg

Or, depending on the color of the tile you choose, you may be able to get the colored edging. We used Jolly in our downstairs hall bathroom. Sorry, I don't have a close-up picture.

photo IMG_2144.jpg

o

treasurethebay, jules8, and dekeoboe, thank you very much for your help. Jules8, your wall tiles and recessed niche with metal edge look very nice. Are they polished nickel or satin nickel?
dekeoboe, where did you get the colored metal edge? Did you have metal edge on your shower step?

Really appreciate all your help.

o

I used polished chrome to match my plumbing fixtures.

o

My metal edging is either brushed nickel or satin nickel, I can't remember which it is.

The colored Jolly edge is PVC. I bought it at Home Depot and since it is PVC it is less expensive than the same profile in metal. And turns out to be less expensive than if you were to buy bullnose tile. Yes, we do have it along the edge of the shower curb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here