Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DD's master bath update -Will this work?

Posted by Karenseb (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 13:51

Hi all,
Everyone was so helpful when I posted new layouts for my daughter's bathroom. I am back again after reading a few threads about the cost of moving toilets and vents. The layout we are looking at now requires no changes in plumbing and could save big money. The issue is - will it work?
--She wants a more contemporary mid century vibe and likes faucets located on the wall instead of on the counter. With that in mind, I thought she might be able to do a less deep 60 in wide wall mounted vanity 18 in deep with a 12 in or 15 in deep linen cabinet to the right of the vanity.
--As of now the toilet is pretty much where it is now drawn. I suppose it could be moved an inch closer to the linen cabinet. She needs to feel she can use the linen cabinet and she wants the bathroom to feel open
--The shower would be either tile floor, which she really likes or a custom marble base 42 in X 48 in with a 26 pivot door.

--Will this work? Do you see any problems are any other solutions for the linen cabinet corner so she won't have to move the toilet?

--Are neoangle showers of this size comfortable to shower in? Is leaking at the pivot doors a problem? How hard to adjust water temp?

This post was edited by Karenseb on Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 18:33

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DD's master bath update -Will this work?

Can you post the layout? ;)

o

Here up some other views.
Excuse all the writing on the drawings.
Anyone have any opinions?

This post was edited by Karenseb on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 19:25

o

Bump

o

Hi, if you did a pony wall on the side next to the toilet you would take out some of the 42" width which I think will be ok. A Kohler cast iron sized shower pan is 36x48. The pan can give you a good idea that your space should be big enough to shower in. I have seen references that the smallest shower should be able to contain a 30" circle with in the showering area.

I like the idea of a pony wall instead of a glass wall next to your toilet.

I have no thoughts on the location of the shower head.

The toilet should have 18" centerline to the wall.

Here is a link that I found very helpful for my layout.

Here is a link that might be useful: illustrated Rules of Good Bathroom Design

o

Are you installing a framed or frameless shower enclosure?

If frameless make sure the installer uses the appropriate seals for the gaps between the glass panels and door. Also, with the pivot hinge it is more difficult to prevent water from escaping without a good drain angle on the curb as opposed to a glass-to-glass hinge.

This isn't a tiny shower but the pony wall will take away from the openness.

I wouldn't offset the shower head because you are moving the water source closer to the area most likely to leak. When using the shower the water will deflect higher on the glass.

o

Enduring. My daughter likes the Kohler cast iron pan, but getting into the 36 X 48 shower if she keeps the toilet where it is may be difficult with door swing.

Cinncnnatiglass;
She likes a totally open shower and a hinged door might be better for a neoangle shower. I'm wondering if she does glass to the 8 foot ceiling if she will still need reinforcement of some kind because of the expanse of glass. It seems like her door would have to hinge on the right side so as not to swing into the toilet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here