Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Alcove tub width

Bunny
10 years ago

When considering the width of an alcove tub, is it measured at its widest part, i.e., from the back wall to the extent of its outer contours?

Comments (13)

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Yes for most tubs.

Exception is the Kohler Expanse acrylic which comes in 2 widths 30 and 32 that are the width at the sides but the tub actually curves out in the middle to 36".

The Kohler Memoirs cast iron juts out too.

Be safe and look at the spec document and also wait for delivery to get the final measurements.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 14:00

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anna, thanks. I'm thinking about my toilet clearance. Currently it's 36" and I know the minimum is 30". My current tub is 28" and I'm planning to get a 30" without any significant outer curves or contours.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Remember that a 30 x 60 tub fits in a 30 x 60 space stud to stud. So, the 30x60 tub in my bathroom measures 58" x 29" from the tile to the tile lengthwise and from the tile to the outer edge width wise.

(3/4" backer board + 1/4"+tile on each end and same at the back of the alcove in front of the tub flange).

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

linelle, are you sure it's not 30 wide and 2 inches are not taken up by the wall like ineffablespace describes?

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ineffable and Anna, you are both right. I always thought my tub was standard size! My BD was the one who said it was only 28" as she was taking measurements, and warned me I would lose 2" for the toilet if I went with a 30x60 tub. Hah! At least all she will be involved in is a vanity.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Whats the measurement on the toilet specs from the center line of your 12" rough-in, to the outer edge of your toilet? Then what is the distance from your finished tub edge to the edge of the toilet.

Oh I've had a tough day at work and a glass of wine, I don't even know if I'm making sense. I just want you to lay this out on graph paper and get it straight with the drywall etc. My cement board was 1/2" and my tile was about 1/2" after all was said and done. I considered an inch thickness for my shower walls.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

enduring, sorry about the tough day, but glad you're dosing it with some wine. Usually your narratives and descriptions are so easy to follow.

I don't know what a 12" rough-in is. I can figure out the center of the toilet and its edge, which must mean the widest edge, right?

Have another glass of wine, and call me in the morning. :)

• enduring
    10 years ago

Linelle, Thanks for you kind advise :) I just finished a dove ice cream bar.

12" rough-in is the toilet floor drain. The center of this rough-in is 12" from the finished wall. I was thinking that if the toilet was out of the room and you needed to figure out tolerances that could be done with your existing rough-in cause I remembered you were going to keep the toilet and I assumed in the same place. Then looking at the distance from the center of the toilet outlet you could figure the measurement from that point to the front edge of the toilet. Unless you have a spec sheet, then it should be on that.

The 12" is from wall to center of the floor hole. Occasionally people have 10" or 14" rough-ins. But usually they are 12".

This could be way too complicated and others know of a much easier way of calculating the distance from toilet to finished tub.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

enduring, a dove bar is nice. Have you ever had an It's-It? Maybe it's just a San Francisco thing.

Yes, I'm planning to keep my current toilet. There's plenty of room in front of it. I measured from the center of the toilet (in front): 16" to the widest contour of the existing tub, and 17" to the end panel of the existing vanity.

I'm considering a plain-Jane tub, maybe a Kohler Villager that looks plain on the outside. If I get another model, it won't be a lot fancier. New vanity will be the same size. It feels plenty roomy on the pot, but I'm 110 lbs. It would be easier if I could get a standard 60" vanity, but I think keeping everything sized as they are now is probably the best bet.

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

Keep in mind that it's not 30" that you need, but 15" on each side (measured from the centerline of the toilet). So even though you have 33" total (17" + 16"), you only have an extra 2" on the vanity side. Don't forget to measure from the countertop overhang, not the cabinet itself.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

catbuilder, you're right. The countertop sticks out about 1/2". The toilet paper holder sticks out quite a bit, but I'm not counting that. With my cats, I can't even leave the paper on the holder.

• lee676
    10 years ago

Is that the real reason some TP holders have those metal shields covering them? I'm not a cat owner and that never occurred to me.

I used a recessed TP holder to add about 2" of space. They don't seem to be fashionable lately, but they are practical.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is what I'm talking about: