Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swisschardfanatic

How do I cover this hole in bathroom ceiling? Pic included

DH had to cut this hole to install this ceiling fan in the bathroom in this 1940s home. How do we cover it up? DH just wants to put floor trim around the vent but I won't allow this. It needs to be done right. He says there's no way to wedge a piece of ceiling tile up in there but I'm not sure. What would you do?

Is it possible to buy these ceiling tiles (they aren't tile, they are some type of very lightweight material) in hardware stores or were they been phased out decades ago?

I was thinking that if we could get one, we could remove the vent fan's grate, then remove the tile that is there, and cut a new tile to fit and put it around the vent fan, then re-install the vent fan's grate.

Sorry if I'm using incorrect terminology. This is my first remodeling experience and I'm a total newbie.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

SCF:

Your husband has the right idea.

Your chances of finding a replacement tile are slim and the chances of that tile matching is even less.

It's molding, an escutcheon of some sort, or tape, drywall, and paint. Pick your poison.

• Swiss_Chard_Fanatic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hadn't thought about an escutcheon; that sounds like a pretty good idea. I'll look into this. Even tape and drywall would be better than moulding. Basically anything but moulding.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Get a larger fan?????????

-Babka

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

I don't suppose there is a closet in this bathroom?

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Personally, I would take the time to take the ceiling down and put up drywall. You wouldn't need that much drywall.

• hunzi
    10 years ago

Oh the fabulousness of what I call schoolhouse paperboard ceilings!!!

They were all over my first floor in one form or another thanks to a previous home owner who thought lowering the ceilings would save on heating bills (I'm blaming the infamous Mr.G!) - I've torn out the ones in the Living Room, Dining Room and Library - still have them in the back of the house - kitchen and back entry in a larger format, and my office ceiling looks just like yours.

If you have to just patch, look in a closet to see if there's a piece you can cut to patch - but tearing them out and replacing them with drywall is so satisfying!

If you can't patch in a tile, your solutions are to cover it, or just fill it with drywall compound similar to patching a hole in drywall - it's not pretty, so it gives you motivation to do it right and tear it out! ;-)

Next up for removal in my house is the kitchen/back entry - which also gives us access the very scary wiring between the paperboard ceilings and the original plaster ones 18inches above. That Mr.G - he was a genius at wiring! Just look at the photo of the live wire cutting the corner over the bathtub of our 1950s Bathroom From Hell for proof of that! (First photo in Starting From Dirt thread)

Old houses, gotta love them or burn them down! ;-)

Always ;-)
    Hunzi
    Keeper of the Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Renovations

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Have it tested for asbestos. If it's from the era I think it is, you may have an issue.

• Swiss_Chard_Fanatic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

debrak2008 and hunzi,

I think that you are right: the best solution would be to remove that crappy ceiling and replace it with drywall. We should already have enough leftover drywall stored away from the other work we've done on the place. I think we will go with that. Thanks everyone!

live_wire_oak,

We also have these same panels in the livingroom, diningroom and kitchen. How do I have something tested for asbestos? How much would it cost?

This post was edited by Swiss_Chard_Fanatic on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 14:15