Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I Go with Carrara Shelf or Black Marble?

Posted by enduring (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 13:41

I don't know if I should use the black marble that I had planned to use in my shower niche. I have heard that black and green marbles can curl, flake, and something called spalling.

I have a 3/4" black marble threshold that I bought for the shelf. I also have a left over 4" carrara marble backsplash that I cut to fit. It is 3cm thick.

The carrara marble is a near match but not perfect. The tile has an ever so slight warm white, where as the carrara's background white is cool.

photo carraramarbleshelf_zpsafc44152.jpg

photo photo3_zps6c2616fb.jpg

the black could add a bit of drama, but I am not crazy about the shape of the edge as manufactured. I do not want to risk curling problems or flaking in the shower.

So I am thinking of using the carrara. Do you guys think that the carrara will be just fine? I kind of like the quietness of it. The pattern of the carrara really matches very well with the porcelain at the shelf area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I Go with Carrara Shelf or Black Marble?

Can you hold up the black shelf? (Or is it too long, and needs to be cut to fit?) Do you have any other black in shower or bath to tie it in with? Don't know about the curling, etc. but I do know black will show soap scum, watermarks, etc. more than the white. Do you want to have to be always cleaning the shelf?

Either one will be fine. Once your various bottles and other paraphernalia get placed on there your eye will gravitate to their probably bright colours anyways!

Your grout lines look fantastic! Are they 1/8"?

(I now have a functioning sink, and we're heading to BBB to buy LIfeliner, then I'll be filling my drawers...pardon me! LOL)

o

I like the Carrara. It's hard to tell on my screen that the tones are a little different. It looks like a good match here. I think you're right about it adding drama. So if you're looking for a subtle and serene vibe I would go with the Carrara.

o

Raehelen and Lottery, thanks for the feedback. I do have black thresholds at the entries to the room that match the black shelf. But I will go with the carrara. I have been in and out of the bathroom looking and I like the calm of the carrara. The slight color difference is really negligible. I like the "no worry" that it will offer too.

(blah blah blah) I'm glad I don't have to rip the black shelf again to fit, as it is too deep to fit now that I had redesigned my installation of the tile into the niche accomodate the narrower depth of the 4" carrara piece. I tiled and then the carrara will be butted into the spot, instead of putting the shelf in and setting the tiles on top of the stone, like a typical counter and backsplash. I had wanted to set the tiles on top of the stone, but it wouldn't work with the carrara. so I changed tile install to keep my option of shelves open. (blah blah blah)

Raehelen, you are a stitch...and you are excused! Have fun getting supplies for your vanity. Regarding grout lines, thanks, they are 1/16th. I have a picture of the niche detailing and grout lines. I cut and eased the edges of the field tile to get a flush modern look.
 photo photo3-1_zpscfc98533.jpg

o

The shelf is installed:
 photo photo2-2_zpsb6f6640b.jpg

o

The carrara shelf looks great!

o

Looks good! I can't wait to see the finished project.

o

Love that! You are clearly building my next bathroom. ;-)

Always ;-)
Hunzi

o

Thanks Hunzi! Today I might get some more tiling done. I do about 8 tiles per week :O I only work on the weekends. I just don't have the energy after work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here