Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelsercat

Water level in bowl too low with 1.28 gal toilet?

chelsercat
14 years ago

We are being really picky about a toilet and really want a a toilet that is: Skirted, Comfort height, Elongated, and NOT dual flush. The only one I've found that is close is a 1.28 gal Jacuzzi Espree. I posted earlier asking about that model specifically, but no one commented so I thought maybe someone would have some general thoughts about a 1.28 gal toilet. My concern is that the water level in the bowl will be too low and it will require extra cleaning. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (22)

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

It may or may not be a problem, depending on how big/small the "water spot" is, the specific mechanics of the flushing action, and how careful your family is. If you are used to older toilets with large volumes of water, it may take some adjustment. I don't think it should be a big deal, although I am not familiar with that toilet. You can also call the manufacturer and see whether they have a persuasive explanation about this issue.

• pepperidge_farm
    14 years ago

I have a jacuzzi toilet, about 4 years old, just a plain era, 1.6gal flush.
    don't love it,
    since 2 more new toilets- toto and a kohler...

it's the only one to get clogged by the same users :-(

• sevrm
    14 years ago

I just got a 1.28 gal St.Thomas Creations toilet. I, too, was concerned about the water level, but it is fine. We also have not had any "inadequate" flushes so far. We do have to hold the handle down in order to get a complete flush. If we just push it down and then let go, we won't use the whole 1.28 gal. It still seems to flush alright that way, but it just doesn't seem right. It may just take some getting used to.

• chelsercat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the input- this helps a lot. We are used to a 1970's toilet so it could be an adjustment. I am a little concerned about the Jacuzzi brand after hearing pepperidge_farm's experince, but I guess different models could vary. I may try calling to see what they say.

• jacobse
    14 years ago

Chelsercat, Toto makes a number of toilets which fit your requirements of Skirted, Comfort height, Elongated, and NOT dual flush. I've been looking for the same thing, and I think we're about to take the plunge with the Carlyle II. The Carolina II, Vespin II, Eco Lloyd, Eco Guinevere and Eco Soiree are others with the 1.28gpf flush; the Nexus and Lloyd have the older 1.6gpf.

-- Eric

• chelsercat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Jacobse...several of these look good. Not sure how I missed them!

• chelsercat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Jacobse...several of these look good. Not sure how I missed them!

• jacobse
    14 years ago

Jjaazzy, chelsercat (the original poster) wanted a comfort height toilet. The original Carolina is not comfort height. (Or if there was that option in the past, it is no longer available.) But the newer Carolina II model is comfort height. If you bought yours 4 years ago, that predates the "II" models. The original is a 1.6 gallon G-Max flush; the "II" is a 1.28 gallon Double Cyclone flush. The "II" is available either with or without Sanagloss.

Funny how just a month ago, Toto to me was simply a dog from Kansas, and now I'm a walking, talking Toto product catalog! ;)

-- Eric

• chelsercat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the update Jacobse. I think we may go with the Vespin but it is not a done deal quite yet. Ditto on Toto toilets - had never heard of it before this Forum! Nor had I ever spent so much time thinking about toilets!

• jacobse
    14 years ago

Chelsercat, I really liked the shape of the bowl and tank on the Vespin -- it's one of the ones I was considering, but I ultimately decided I liked the one-piece models best. The Vepsin and Carlyle II are almost twins in overall shape of tank and bowl, with one piece vs. two piece being the major difference to me. Good luck making your final decision.

-- Eric

• busybee3
    14 years ago

eric.... i too have been spending waaayy too much time thinking about toilets!! i am wondering what the advantage of a one piece toilet vs a 2 piece toilet is???

• jacobse
    14 years ago

I think it's mostly aesthetic -- I really like the clean lines of a one piece unit. The practical advantage, which my wife probably appreciates more, is that it's easier to clean -- no area between the tank and bowl to get messy. The disadvantages of a one piece are that they're more expensive (one bigger piece of porcelain) and a little more awkward to install.

--Eric

• toolbabe
    14 years ago

How about the American Standard Cadet 3 one piece unit, right height, elongated. It even has the slow-close seat and cover.

We have one and could not be more pleased with it.

It is sleek. Easy to clean. Flushes quickly and efficiently, and refills quietly.

And best of all, it is comfortable.

There was nothing awkward about the installation. It took all of 15 minutes. As for the price, expect to pay no more than $400. and probably much less.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cadet 3 info

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

Eric,
    do you mind telling me where you ordered your toilet from.
    Also does anyone know why the high effic. toilets are lessin price than the older ones.
    example Vespin 1.6 about 418.00 on one site &
    vespin II 1.28 about 399.00 on same site.
    I would have thought the new Vespin II would be more than the other.

• gwentm
    14 years ago

For those who are looking for a toilet that is not dual flush--What is the reason you are specifically avoiding this model? What are the problems with it?

• Terry Love
    14 years ago

If you check the Toto website, the new Vespin II, is quite a bit less then for the old Vespin.
    All I can say is, Great?
    Thanks for dropping the price on a new and improved model.
    I try to have the best prices in Seattle.
    And have most everything in stock, and can get it in a day or two.
    I did reduce the price even more on the Vespin II, I thought $399.99 looked real nice on my shopping cart.
    So........you complaining that I chose to make less?

Terry Love

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jacobse
    14 years ago

Eric, do you mind telling me where you ordered your toilet from.

Lyban, two local Toto dealers I talked with about a month ago said these "II" models were so new that they didn't know how quickly they'd come in, but based on past experience, they expected it could take 4 to 5 weeks. I thought that pressed my timing, so I looked online. (I also called Toto, which confirmed to me that the toilets were definitely in stock and had started shipping in February).

The best price I got was from Ira Woods; I had ordered from them before when doing my kitchen and had a perfect experience, and they always seem to be recommended by folks on the kitchen forum. Their price was best if my total order would be $750, which would get me free shipping on the toilet; I was going to order my drawer pulls from them anyway (and eventually did), so I was over that limit. When I called them to ask about availability, they called Toto and estimated three weeks.

I ended up ordering it from HM Wallace (they do business online as PerformanceToilets.com) because they promised they get a weekly truckload from Toto and would therefore get the toilet within a week and UPS it to me (free) for delivery within 10 days. Their price was about $40 higher, but since they seemed like they'd get it to me fastest, I ordered from them. Well, it turned out that my toilet "missed the truck" from Toto for two weeks, and ended up taking about three weeks to arrive anyway -- so I spent a little extra compared to Ira Woods for nothing. Oh well. I will say the customer service people at HM Wallace were nice to deal with.

The toilet finally arrived Friday, and will be installed this week as soon as the wall tiling is complete and grouted. If we're happy with it, I'll be ordering another for our second bathroom project, which will start as soon as this one is complete. And I'll order from Ira Woods.

One last note: when I was price shopping last month, many of the online sites didn't have all the new Toto models on their web sites, but they were all able to get me pricing when I called them. So if you don't see the model you want on a particular web site, it pays to call them. And make sure you check the shipping policies -- method and cost. (Reads the fine print: some web sites which prominently display free shipping on orders over $99 or $199 say that doesn't apply to oversized items, like a toilet. But they may offer free shipping for hitting a higher cost threshold.) I was surprised something as heavy as a 115 pound one-piece toilet could be shipped UPS, but it's standard with some of the companies. Others ship toilets via a freight line. That might make a difference if you or your contractor aren't home all day waiting for a shipment. Some ship all toilets for free; others have a pretty high cost threshold for free shipping. (If you can order your faucets or shower fixtures from the same company, it'll help you get free shipping on everything.)

-- Eric

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

Eric,
    Thank you for that very informative answer. I will check out your online sites and keep in mind the shipping criteria. We are remodeling a bathroom in a 1940 home and after buying our toilet (Kohler) memoirs to match the sink we realized that we need a 14 inch rough in so we had to return toilet and are now looking for a solution. It seems that Toto are the only ones that make something called unifit for about 3-4 of their toilets. The vespin , Soiree,genevieve, and maybe the Carlyle. We are not in California, actually we are in Canada so I was looking at the 1.6 toilets becasue I am afraid to go with the 1.28. I am into saving water as much as the next person but I also want a very good flush. I have seen many of your posts and I see that you really do your research and are creating a beautiful bathroom so that is why I am asking you your opinion on the newer versions of these toilets compared to the older 1.6 verson.
    Or if anyone else has an opinion feel free to let me know which would you go with 1.28 or 1.6.

• Terry Love
    14 years ago

The Vespin II has a MaP rating of 800 grams with only 1.28 gallons
    Anything over 500 grams is overkill.
    I've been installing the new Vespin for a while now.
    The picture below is a Vespin installed in Seattle by us.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

We are going from old, probably original to the house 5 gal (?) toilets, to the new ones, so there's a big drop in (water) capacity compared to what we've been used to. We were afraid to go lower than 1.6 gal, and had already installed the 1.6 gal Soiree in our guest bathroom almoat 1 1/2 yrs ago. We wanted the toilets in the daily-use bathrooms to be the same capacity, not lower, so took delivery of two more 1.6 gal Soirees last summer/fall, while they still had them.

• User
    14 years ago

Toolbabe, I also have the Cadet 3 by American Standard, in a one piece 1.24 gallon flush, elongated front, soft close seat, and it never fails to flush totally with the first try.
    Mine is the compact version, and is "water sense" and it may be a tad shorter than the comfort height. But not by much, because our old knees can deal with it comfortably.