Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizlizzie_gw

Pairing a tall single-hole faucet to a vessel sink?

MizLizzie
11 years ago

After spending many months at the Kitchen Forum, this is my first foray into the BF. As a part of our kitchen reno, we are doing the adjoining powder room. I will be ordering the vanity and vessel from Signature Hardware.

I hope someone here can give me some guidance on how high the aerator should be vis-a-vis the lip of the vessel sink. My sink is a 17" circle and 6.25" high. The faucet I am considering is 9.75" to the aerator. Will that lead to water splashing out?

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Comments (10)

• sloyder
    11 years ago

I would ask a place that sells fixtures, as a lot has to do with the placement of the fixture in relation to the bowl.

Does Signature Hardware have a recommendation?

Sometimes the spec sheet of the bowl will have the info you seek as well.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

The rim of our vessel sink sits at 6" from the countertop and the bottom of the spigot sits at just over 9" from the countertop. We don't really have splash issues, but we also don't have an aerator as our faucet is open topped.

One big thing that helps reduce splash out is to not open the water line valve all the way so you don't have to worry as much if someone turns the faucet on wide open. Another thing that will help is to make sure your sink is deep vs shallow (which it sounds like yours is).

Here's a pic of ours for reference:

Hope this helps!

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, MDH! Now I feel kind of . . . duh. Because you're right. If there's too much force for the set-up, give the valve a turn. Yes, your sink is very much like ours in size, and our faucet will be -- unless I'm much mistaken -- just like yours. Is that a Kohler Victorian 754LF? Whatever it is, gorgeous. All of it. Thank you.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Good eye MizLizzie! It is the Delta Victoran 754LF in antique pewter. I could have gotten a really good closeout deal at a local store on the 755LF version (with closed top & aerator), but I liked the idea of no aerator and the open top style fit with the look we were going for in that bath--like you were washing your hands in a stream with an old faucet. We are very pleased with how it turned out.

One other thing to remember when doing a vessel sink is that you want to standard height (30") vanity so that your total set up (vanity + countertop + sink) = ~36". If you go with the more modern comfort height (36") vanity, the sink will sit too high (~42") making it uncomfortable to wash your hands in.

Good luck to you & can't wait to see pics of your project!

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for that tip. Had not considered it. Just checked and the vanity is 34" to the top of the backsplash, so a shade under 31" without. We should be fine. We're tall, no kids at home now.

I am going with the 754LF in champagne bronze. LOL. I know gold tones are out. Don't care. It's the most gorgeous faucet ever. We're doing a faintly Oriental theme, setting the sink in good old Uba Tuba granite -- sparkly! -- and below is the link to my dragon sink. Ha ha. It will all be a tad over the top, perhaps, but we are very traditional and very Chinois here in our decor. And hey, if you're going to have fun, might as well be the power room.

Thanks again for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dragon Sink

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

That sink is sooooo cool! I love it!! The champagne bronze will be perfect with it. I know everyone that has gone into our powder room for the first time has to immediately go get whoever else came over with them to check out our sink before they even use the facilities, LOL!! I like having a fun space as the rest of our house is very traditional too.

It's so nice to have a vision and watch it come to be--can't wait to see yours all come together!

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks on the sink. It is neat, isn't it? On Uba Tuba should look cool. What I can't decide now is whether or not to go with a black toilet. LOL. I know, right? No one has a black toilet. But the vanity and sink will be black. The walls will be gold-butterscotch, and trim and plantation shutters white. Red, gold, and black Asian scrolls on the walls.

I could go white on the 'loo. But where's the fun in that? Kohler makes a black toilet seat with French Gold hinges. Soon my powder room will took like a 19th century New Orleans brothel.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Omigoodness, don't get a black toilet! I had a chocolate brown sink once and it was a nightmare to keep clean. Granted, no soap in the toilet, but water spots and other (ew) things and no matter how soft your water is you'll get some mineral build up, etc. It will look spectacular when installed and make you crazy every day after.

here's an old thread about it:

Here is a link that might be useful: black toilets

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMG, that is too cute. Olychick, I was STILL leaning toward my black throne while reading that thread until I got to the bottom and saw the remark about your pee color. I laughed. And then I thought -- that is a danged good point. Many a dangerous illness has been averted by a good old white 'loo. Reminds me of that movie, The Madness of King George. If you haven't seen it . . . it's worth it just for laughs.