Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizlizzie_gw

How much water sits in your Toto toilet?

MizLizzie
10 years ago

For our small powder reno we've chosen the very retro looking Toto Promenade which I've heard is just a Drake in a different skin. It is the perfect 'loo for a period house look.

However, I just put in two of the Eco Promenades for my mother, and I notice not much water sits in the bottom. Call me weird, but I would prefer more water. A call to Toto elicited vague might-maybe mumblings that helped not at all. If you have a regular G-Max Toto Drake or Promenade -- well, any G-Max, really -- can you tell me how much water you have in the bowl? Thanks for any info. We are super water conscious and keep very low usage, but this is an ick issue for me.

Comments (15)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Toto makes so many different toilets. the Eco Promenade is just 1.28 gal. There are regular Promenades that are 1.6 gal. When I called Toto with a question on flushing, they were extremely helpful, and even helped me find a show room that had a Drake hooked up in the employee's bathroom so I could try it out!!!)

Do you have a photo of the level of water you are questioning? Then, if someone has your model they can check and say yes or no about the level.

-Babka

• enduring
    10 years ago

I have a Promenade 1.6 toilet and the water spot is fair. Not like the old 40 year kohlers we removed.

I happen to have a picture of my 1.6 gal promenade when I was advertising a kitchen soft scrub brush as my new bowl brush last year :)

On the other hand, my 2 piece Maris is just like this attached photo. This is not my toilet. I found this image on line it to illustrate the bowl only. The water is way down in that jar like shape. You have to be an expert shot to make the mark. I think this style spells trouble. I wished I would have got another model. They stopped making the Maris 2 piece model recently:

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, enduring! That is just what I needed. You have a bit more water there than those I bought for my mother. But not a huge amount. Hers is more like the Maris. I appreciate seeing those for comparison.

Love that little brush. Good angle. Can you get those anywhere? Or is it something specific?

• enduring
    10 years ago

I believe I picked it up in the kitchen department at Target. I bought it because of the new Promenade last spring. I wanted something a bit softer than those very stiff toilet brushes I have a cute little crock that I house it in at the back of the toilet. The room is rather old fashioned looking so the crock fits in. The brush is modern though :) It is very nice to hold and clean the toilet. I have been using dish soap only in the toilet as that is what I recall Toto suggesting to do with the Sanigloss finish.

I have attached a link to the thread I started on the topic last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: my toilet brush thread

• HLV2
    10 years ago

The manufacturer's spec sheet for the toilet specifies the size of the water surface: 8-7/8 x 6-3/8".

Here is a link that might be useful: Eco Promenade 1.28GPF Spec Sheet

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank, HLV2. I'd looked at that spec sheet a dozen times and never saw that. The G-Max version shows the same specs for water surface. I might was well go with the Eco because I'll say one thing -- it flushes amazingly well. And makes almost no sound. I will have to live with the lack of water because I love the look of the Promenade.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I have a Drake and an Eco Drake. The Eco seems to have an even smaller water spot than the regular Drake. Both water spots are (probably obviously) significantly smaller than our old completely water-inconsiderate Kohlers from the 1970s. But even an American Standard we replaced had a noticeably larger waters spot, though it didn't flush as well.

If you're not prepared for a little "ick", discontinue reading further please. I've noticed that quite a bit of solid remains behind on the bowl of the Eco Drake. Some in the Drake as well, and perhaps it's dependent on user (the Eco Drake in our house is mostly used by a male). I've also noticed an unfortunate amount of splashing from standing urination with the Eco Drake. It's possible I'm just not seeing it as much (due to surrounding materials) with the Drake. But in the future, I'll be choosing a Drake over an Eco Drake.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

After doing what is probably an absurd amount of research on toilets last year, I'm convinced you can find an image and/or video of the water level/water spot for darn near any major toilet. I'd be very surprised if you can't find an actual pic via google for comparison.

Who would have guessed so many people post those things? But thank goodness they do!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Thanks to this thread, I now look at the amount of water sitting in every toilet I commune with. I also think that if the new height is the same as public toilets, it's not something I want in my home as my little legs don't touch the ground easily and when you have one of those horrible middle of the night episodes, that would add insult to injury.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

*minor hijack*

Linelle, I learned the hard way to, uh...do a "dry run" in BARE feet at the showroom. Apparently I'm the exact height where my legs are fine in sneakers, but just short enough to not hit the floor otherwise. More of an issue with our Kohler than the Toto, which I picked in part because it's shorter. Always check the specs, I found that "comfort" height, "universal" height, etc can vary an inch or more depending on brand, line, and model.

I've started using a SquattyPotty now, so height is no longer an issue.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Williamsem, excellent solution. We had a thread last year about using a stool for the feet to put the user in a better position. This looks like the perfect stool. And I watched the Youtube video, impressed me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube video of Squatty Potty

• Bunny
    10 years ago

The video! It was cleverly animated and all, but the little squibby beep sounds drove me nuts. I just wanted them to show me the squatty thing. Turns out I have a knock-off, a Rubbermaid step-stool that is currently in residence under my bed.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Williamsem and Enduring-

Thanks to you both for the info on the Squatty Potty. I have traveled a lot thru Asia and by necessity, learned how to squat using the one holers with ceramic footprints when Western toilets were unavailable. Quick, easy and not messy. With this device (didn't want to use the term "stool" (heheh), West meets East!

-Babka

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. I was desperate to find something that helped, and after wrestling with the step stool for a while just bought one. I've saved enough in canceled magazine subscriptions that it paid for itself!

The other benefit with these new low flow, smaller water spot toilet models is the SP basically ensures you are fully seated on the seat, which automatically aims things into the deeper water.

• enduring
    10 years ago

The other benefit with these new low flow, smaller water spot toilet models is the SP basically ensures you are fully seated on the seat, which automatically aims things into the deeper water.

Thats it, I'm getting one!