Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wall backing for Onyx Shower base and panels

Posted by kyleknapp (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 13:26

I've ordered an Onyx shower base and wall panels to go in an existing 36" x 48" alcove. Before the plumber came to install the pluming, I tore out the drywall on all 3 walls, intending to replace it with Greenboard (recommended by the manufacturer) before the shower base arrives.

But the plumber says no, you have to install the shower base first, as it goes up against the studs, then you install the greenboard so it slightly overlaps the "lip" on the base.

So I'm confused, and Onyx's installation instructions give no clarity on this detail. Can anyone advise me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wall backing for Onyx Shower base and panels

Hi Kyle,

Yes, you install the base first. Contact Onyx for installation instructions (they should be available on their website). We have had two cultured marble bases made (similar to Onyx for your purposes). The first one looked something like the one you have posted, unfortunately, I seem to have lost all my pics from that year...? But here is one from the present reno. The base is made slightly differently, ie there is only a curb on the entrance side, and the other three sides are just thin walls that the cement board, and then the tile go over. The tile was laid to end nearly at the bottom of the pan.

Hope this helps.

Wood blocking for grab bars photo woodblockingforgrabbars1of1_zpsfff74dd6.jpg

o
RE: Wall backing for Onyx Shower base and panels

Thanks Raehelen, that does help,

I also contacted Onyx directly, and they referred me here: www.onyxcollection.com/shower-installation-tutorial.html

(I had watched their video tutorials and read their installation PDF, but somehow overlooked this page, which seems to be just what I was looking for.)

Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here