Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anna_in_tx

American Standard Tub and Sink?

anna_in_tx
10 years ago

I should really rename this thread American Standard Cambridge or Kohler Devonshire or Mirabelle Bradenton?????

OK folks, I finally need help making a decision. I saw some American Standard products that peaked my interest. I feel really tired of planning and making decisions. I'm really brain dead at this point. So tell me what you think.

I stopped at a local plumbing store to look at Toto Toilets and Jado faucets. Jado and Porcher have been merged and rebranded under DXV. This showroom had Toto toilets and American Standard toilets and there is a noticeable difference in the finish of the porcelain. They also had an American Standard Cambridge Americast tub that is so comfortable for me, especially if I were to add the deep soak overflow/drain to get a few more inches of water depth. I like the way the tub fits my upper back and neck - I had an automobile rear end accident. The tub would be in my MB and would not get rough use. I went ahead and looked at their sinks and they happened to have one on display, an above counter sink called the Boulevard. I would get a Toto Drake toilet in Colonial White.

My decision before trying out the tub and finding it comfortable was the Mirabelle Bradenton acrylic tub or the Kohler Devonshire acrylic tub (still had not made a decsison there) and the Kohler Tresham vanity top sink which is an above counter sink and then the Toto Drake in Cotton. I have not sat in a Mirabelle Bradenton, only a Mirabelle Edenton. I have not sat in a Kohler Devonshire. The Kohler Devonshire really interests me.

My faucets will be Jado classic now rebranded as DXV Ashbee.

I have no issue with the different whites, they just need to match because my fixtures are in close proximity. The tub will not get rough use because it will be my soaking tub in my MB. I really do like the porcelain feel when bathing - it takes me back to my childhood cast iron tub. I know that American Standard has quality control issues and am prepared to thoroughly inspect the fixtures before I purchase/accept them.

I have finished demolishing and am now ready to fill the 5 inch garden tub drop in with concrete. It would be easier to install the tub before I put the cbu up for the shower walls. So the tub purchase needs to be sometime this next month.

The comfort of the tub is a major factor for me. I am short too. My toilet will be a round front low rider. I am going from two to one sink. I do know that this bathroom will be customized to a certain point, but I have no plans to move.

Please share your opinions.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 13:36

Comments (8)

• enduring
    10 years ago

I say get what is the most comfortable for your back. I would go with cast iron or acrylic though. I was reading the reviews on the AS web page for the Cambridge and there are frequent comments about rust. If you but in an easily removed tub surround, I'd go for it. But if I was planning on a tile installation, I'd get something else. Surely there will be other options. Several years ago I had heard that the enameled steel wasn't as durable, that is why I replaced my old worn out cast iron tub with another cast iron.

The Asbee is a very nice looking traditional faucet.

The Tresham is nice too.

• anna_in_tx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yea, I better stick with original plan. There are too many issues with American Standard quality and the nature of the Americast tubs, which are really like Bootzcast tubs but with a resin backing that gives it more support. And there are reports of the resin even cracking on the bottom especially where people stand when taking a shower. But darn, that Cambridge tub sure was comfy for me.

So I will go back to the Kohler Tresham Vanity top sink to match a white acrylic tub. I also like the drop in Tresham which you showed above and of course I like the Memoirs drop in sinks. The Tresham vanity sink version is like a countertop sink. It will give me some height without having to build up the existing vanity.

like the looks of Kohler Devonshire tub but it has a depth of 14 inches - I could always install a Kohler deep soak tub overflow drain. Or choose the Mirabelle Bradenton which has a depth of 16.5 inches.

My inspiration for this remodel is a bath I found on Houzz. It has a Kohler Archer alcove tub. I will be extending the shower out and Hydro Ban has a 36 wide x 48 deep premade shower pan with a 36 curb (per Mongoct's recommendation). I called Laticrete and they emailed me the spec page. The crazy tract home supply plumbing has 2 cold and 1 hot pipes coming up on the corner of the big garden tub. I don't want to move all of the plumbing so I will build a ledge for it and install the Roman faucet on top. Right now, the garden tub is installed right up to the vanity. I am going to install a 32 inch wide alcove tub to give more floor space and a sliver of wall space to keep the bathroom from looking too boxed in. I will fill in the drop down under the current tub to make the floor level and the bottom of the tub even with the floor to make it safer to get in and out of the tub. That's the plan.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 17:30

• enduring
    10 years ago

beautiful inspiration picture. What sink is this one you linked?

• anna_in_tx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Enduring,

What I liked about the Houzz inspiration is the size of the tub along with a ledge to cover the plumbing that solves a lot of placement issues in my bath - I also have a 60x60 window above the garden tub which is 72x45 and just engulfs the room. So hopefully I will be able to add more space to the shower, reduce the floorplan for the tub, raise the tub up to be level with the floor, not have to install a new window, and not have to move plumbing supply lines. My neighborhood does not warrant an expensive remodel.

That is the Kohler Tresham Vanity Top sink. It is really a countertop type sink versus drop in. The Tresham collection has pedestal sinks of different widths, both a rectangular and an oval drop in sink and then this "vanity top" sink. It is a very pretty collection. This vanity top sink can go either way - contemporary or period.

Since you posted the drop in sink, I sorta like it too. It would give me a more traditional look.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 18:56

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

The AS Cambridge seems plain while the Devonshire and Bradenton have nice detail on the apron. Most important to get one you find comfortable.

The Boulevard sink looks sharp as does the Tresham and Memoirs.

For the toilet, have you considered the Toto Promenade? It has nice detailing on the base and tank cover which matches the details on your faucets (which are also pretty sharp) and it has more squared off lines.

• anna_in_tx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really searched hard on the internet last night and found too many issues with American Standard quality across all of their products. So the Cambridge is out. Also, the warrenty is void if the Americast tub is installed on a bed of mortar, but there are reports of the resin backing cracking at the spot where people stand for showering. And I found a lot more rust issues around the overflow and drain than I thought I would.

I really need a standard height toilet to prevent my feet from dangling. Toto Promenade does not come in regular height. The pretty Kohler period looking toilets are all comfort height. My toilet closet door has to be shut in order to move around in front of the vanity and to get to the closet. So the toilet will not be seen that much.

I plan to install a higher elongated toilet in my second bathroom for my guests who are much taller.

As far as sinks, since you pointed out the detailing, the Kohler Tresham drop in would fit better with the look in my bath. My vanity is traditional built in with the trip around the doors and drawers. I like the rectangular over the oval because it gives me more coverage for drips.

For bathstubs, I did find a post on the forum about the Mirabelle Bradenton's armrest being too high. If they are too high for a regular person, they will definitely be too high for me. So it looks like the Kohler Devonshire will be my choice. It is an older model before they started making longer soaking alcove tubs. It is wider in the front which works out great for sitting up to wash and rinse.

Carpenter posted on the faucet trim thread and advised me that DVX is not the same as Jado. So I will look into the Grohe Seabury or the Kohler Devonshire as alternatives. They look very similar.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 0:05

• anna_in_tx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have searched on the internet and have not found another toilet. I'm tired and am going to just go with the Toto Drake. It will be in the closet and will not be right up next to the Kohler sink and tub.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 13:02

• suger4630
    10 years ago

I totally understand your perplexities as I went through it myself when trying to decide on fixtures for our recent MB remodel. My final decision was Kohler Devonshire Bubblemassage tub and Kohler Wellworth (plumbing store) toilet. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them both! I am only 5 ft tall and the Devonshire is perfectly comfortable. I too was concerned about some comments that I read that 14" may not be deep enough, but believe me it is and once I turn on the bubbles the water level increases. All the worrying I did about making the right decisions and I'm so pleased with my choices. Good luck with yours!