Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buyorsell888

Tile ceiling over tub/shower?

buyorsell888
14 years ago

Would it be weird to tile the ceiling over the tub/shower? Already planning to tile to the ceiling on the walls. There will be glass doors.

Comments (12)

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

I don't know if it's weird or not but I am planning to do it. I just think tile holds up better to all that humidity. I don't care for the way my sheetrock ceiling looks in there now after 37 years of moisture.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

It seems to be fairly popular right now, but personally I don't like tiled ceilings--they make me too aware that I'm in a box.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Not weird at all. Quite a few tiled tub enclosures get a tiled ceiling, as well.

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you. I'm thinking it would hold up better. Previous drywall ceiling molded. We weren't as diligent running the fan as we should have been and window did not open. Outside wall wasn't insulated either. That will all be fixed but I still thought tile on the ceiling might be cool.

• anne7
    14 years ago

Just did 2 baths with tiled cieling. Also put exhaust fan directy above shower/tub. Only prob. was with setting light fixtures into tiled cieling. Electrician and tile people need to know what they're doing and work together to get nice finished edge with no light leaking, and prevent tile/grout chips from descending every time light bulb is changed....other than that,, looks good!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

There should be no need for any extra coordination. The light fixture should be in when the shower gets tiled, and the tile cut tight to the fixture. End of story.

And NO chips of tile and grout should be falling when the bulb gets changed. I'd be real suspicious if that's happening.

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Our bathroom is only 5' wide and 9' long from outside/back wall in tub/shower to door.

In a bath that small do we need a fan in the shower rather than centered in the room where it has always been?
    We are getting a new one.

There is a window in the shower that opens, for light. Above eye level. 3' long and 18" high.

DH is doing all the work himself. He is very handy. He does HVAC for a living and completely remodeled our kitchen a few years ago and roof, siding, windows last summer. He has done tile, electrical and drywall too. Bathroom is pretty much the last thing not improved on this house in 16 years.

• ionized_gw
    14 years ago

Tub/shower in our house has tile on walls and ceiling. I can't say for sure how long it was there, but the bath was added ca. 1960. It looks fine.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Our bathroom is only 5' wide and 9' long from outside/back wall in tub/shower to door.

In a bath that small do we need a fan in the shower rather than centered in the room where it has always been?

No, out in the bathroom is fine.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

We had the ceiling in our guestbath shower tiled (we added a shower to that bathroom), and plan to have the ceilings over the bathtubs in our two main floor bathrooms tiled as well.

I just think tile holds up better to all that humidity. That was our thought as well.

• kiagarden
    14 years ago

I'm debating between tile and cedar wood - has anyone ever put cedar, or other wood as a shower ceiling? Don't steam rooms have wood ceilings? We would put up heavy duty vapor barrier between - some say to seal the wood real well - but isn't cedar suppose to breathe? Feedback greatly appreciated.

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    14 years ago

DH has informed me that he refuses to tile the ceiling. Thinks it would be "wrong" :(