Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing Tile without Grout - Is this wise to do?

Posted by brenda_md (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 11 at 13:12

I am planning on redoing our bathroom and want to have tile installed in the shower area. My sister-in-law redid her bath and had limestone installed in the shower area, but without grout. The tiles are just butted up to each other. She lives in Florida and said it is done a lot down there. Is this a wise thing to do and how do you keep the water from getting onto the wallboard behind the tiles. Granted, I love the thought of not having to deal with keeping grout lines cleaned, but would be concerned about wall damage and possibly mold build up between the tiles.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing Tile without Grout - Is this wise to do?

No, it's a bad idea, but not for the reasons you think. Tile and grout do not provide the waterproofing in a shower. Water can and does get behind tile and grout, regardless of the size of the grout line. The waterproofing is done behind the tile.

Back to why it's a bad idea. When you butt tiles together, there is still a very small gap. If you don't fill it grout, something else will find its way in there, and that something else will be soap scum, dead skin cells, dirt, etc., which increases the odds of growing mold, etc. on that organic matter. I'd much rather have grout between my tiles than a bunch of gross junk.

Another reason not to do it is that many tiles are not exactly the same size, and they will not line up properly.

o

Exactly right. No matter WHERE it's being installed in the home, it's a bad idea.

o

I've seen pictures of floors (not shower floors, just floors) where it looks like stone tile is butted up against each other, is that just really small grout joints? Just curious.

o

It's just really tiny grout joints. There are special grouts for "invisible" joints.

o

Thanks Terriks and Bill, I had a feeling it was not good to do. It makes me wonder how such practices get started.

o

PPC-- You may HAVE seen an ungrouted floor. Just in the kitchens forum alone there have been many who've ignored my advice and gone forward with groutless installations. Doesn't mean it's right, or even a good idea.

o

". It makes me wonder how such practices get started."

.............ya know , I was reading on the internet last nite

-OR-

did you see that Home Makeover, they put in the floor tile without grout and they said it was super terrific.

o

Thanks for clarifying. I suppose as many times as I've seen/heard people installing tile in a shower over drywall with no waterproofing of any kind, I shouldn't be surprised to see something else done incorrectly.

o

"No matter WHERE it's being installed in the home, it's a bad idea"

There are some tiles that are designed not to have grout. All of the new "stacked stone" type tiles would look absurd with grout lines. Of course, I wouldn't want those anywhere near a shower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here