Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docellie

Cleaning shower with porcelain wall tiles and stone mosaic floor?

docellie
13 years ago

Just spent part of the day at the "fancy" tile store, where the salesperson made us feel bad for thinking about mixing limestone wall and floor tiles with porcelain shower tiles (ease of maintenance). After reading these boards, it seems our plan was not so bizarre after all (just less $$)!!. Big question, though - we picked a stone mosaic for the shower floor that we really do love...but how much of a problem would the upkeep be if we had porcelain shower tiles i.e. would we have to avoid all the "regular" cleaners out there so as not to harm the floor tiles?

Comments (7)

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

Oxyclean works pretty well on both surfaces, as well.

• dakota01
    13 years ago

I haven't thoroughly cleaned my new porcelain shower/small tiles on floor yet. But, I do wipe my glass shower door off every time I use the shower, run the fan, and I leave the shower door open all day.

I do plan on starting to wipe the walls down with a dry towel or use a squeege. The way my shower head is aimedm my walls don't really get that wet - but they do get some water from the heat/steam that builds up. I do leave my door slightly open while I'm in there too.

I haven't seen any mold and I've been using it for about 2 months.

• monicakm_gw
    13 years ago

My scenario doesn't include a shower but I do have travertine, porcelain AND glass tiles all together. I use a 50/50 mixture of water and alcohol. Use it to clean the granite countertops too. It's pH balanced and cleans well. I use it for quick cleanups on the bathroom sink but found that it doesn't cut the soap scum as well as Scrubbing Bubbles. Bathroom sink is glass. You can't use that on stone.

• kimran
    13 years ago

monicakm-I've been lurking here for almost a year and have admired your bathroom many times! We're in the final stages of a gut re-model addition of our master bedrm. and bath. We have porcelain tile, Jeffrey Court "mood glass" tiles and polished travertine pencil rail trim in the shower and on the tub deck/splash. Do you mean you clean all three materials with the 50/50 mix? Did you seal your grout, travertine, and glass tiles? Our glass tile recommends sealing with a penetrating sealer. Bill, would you recommend sealing the whole thing to prevent future stains and/or discoloration? Thanks in advance for any advice.

• monicakm_gw
    13 years ago

Thank you Kimram :) Which "mood" glass did you choose?
    Yes, I clean all three materials with the 50/50 solution. Remember, I don't have a shower as mentioned in by the OP. Yes the grout lines are sealed as well as the glass and tumbled travertine. I didn't want to darken the travertine so we used a water based sealer, not an enhancer. Same for the granite countertop. Sealing glass tiles before grouting is important because the fine lines and "crazing" in some glasses WILL be stained by the grout. I don't believe you can seal polished travertine. The sealer can't penetrate. My bathroom floor is 18" porcelain. I use a steam mop on all the tile in my house, including the travertine in the entry. I use a microfiber cloth and the water/alcohol to wipe down the travertine and glass on the walls, on the granite, wipe down appliances, windows...it's become my go to cleaner. Use a spray on granite polisher ever once in awhile. Good luck :) Can't wait to see your beautiful finished bathroom.
    Monica

• kimran
    13 years ago

Thanks, Monica! We chose the Jeffrey Court Chapter 7 Crushed Mood Glass for a trim. I love it, but it hasn't been exposed to water yet. I didn't think we'd have to seal glass, but manufacturer says to. We didn't seal before grouting, though. It seems to have retained original color...I have a steam mop for my other porcelain tile and have loved the results. I will try the 50/50 mix on my surfaces. Thank you again. I'll post some pics when I can. We're finally in the home stretch after 5 months!