Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kidhorn

Granite shelf thickness

kidhorn
10 years ago

We're having 3 showers built and have a rectangular bench in one and a shelf insert in each of the 3. The shelf has one shelf in it. The contractor recommends we buy some granite for the top of the bench and shelf since it will be one piece and we won't have to deal with grout lines in the middle. We want brown. Something like tan brown.

The bench is 28"x14" and the shelves are 12" x 5.5". I'm not sure where the 5.5" comes from since a 2x4 is 3.5" thick so the wall can't be much thicker than this. 4.5" would make more sense to me.

I contacted some local granite shops and they have lots of 3cm remnants that they could make everything out of. I would prefer 2cm for the shelves since 3cm is a really thick shelf, but their 2cm inventory is very limited. The prices range from $300-$500 for all 7 pieces including bullnose.

I looked at the home depot site and saw this

Tan Brown Tile

Using this would save me a few hundred $'s and it would be a better shelf thickness.

It's a tan brown tile 31"x18"x1/2". I think this can safely be used for the bench and bottom of the shelves assuming it can be cut and bullnosed by the contractor, but I'm not sure about the middle shelf. Is 1/2" thick enough for a 12" shelf?

This post was edited by kidhorn on Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 12:44

Comments (4)