Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Best layout of double vanity sink

ontariomom
12 years ago

Hi all,

I have 96" of available space to put a double sink vanity in our ensuite. I like tambour storage on the counter top (shallow cupboards back of counter). My question is where exactly on this counter should I put the two sinks? Of course, the plumber needs to know right away so he can complete the plumbing rough in. Should I place one tambour storage inbetween the two sinks, or should I place two smaller tambour storage cupboards one on each side, with the sinks closer together? I am hopeless at this, and the decisions are driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Carol

Comments (9)

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Do you have the vanity picked out? It really depends on where the sink openings are, if you are doing a standard 60 or 72 inch double vanity they usually have drawers or a cupboard in the middle and sinks on the sides, so you would put a single tambour storage in the middle. Of course, with 96" you could do 2 48" vanities side by side, those could be mirror images of each other, so you could place wherever you want but remember code says 30" minimum center to center, NKBA recommendations are 36".

Does the 96" give room to walk by without banging a hip (for example, I have 74" from corner to door trim, but I wouldn't put a 72" vanity in b/c 2" is too close to door for my comfort, even though there is no interference)?

As far as countertop storage, most bathroom vanities are 22" deep, that's not deep enough for anything behind the sinks. You can gain a couple more inches (height and depth) by using kitchen cabinets, but still it would be very shallow storage. Not sure what you mean by "back of counter". Have you considered a "tower" between the sinks or flanking them for deeper storage?

houzz has thousands of pictures if you're looking for examples. HTH and I just haven't confused you.

A floor plan would help.

• nycbluedevil
    12 years ago

Carol
    I had 93" of space for my double with side towers. This is what I did. Five banks (left to right 15", 24", 15" 24" 15). The sinks go in the 24" bases and the first, third and fifth banks are for hampers and drawer stacks. The middle is a drawer stack. The extreme ends are one drawer and a hamper each (one for darks and one for whites). The towers are also 15" wide and 9" deep. We have sconces on the side of the towers and a soffet with recessed lights above. A big mirror, framed in our mosaic marble that we used elsewhere in the bathroom, is in the middle and is an uninterrupted expanse. We couldn't be happier.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you ajsmama for your helpful comments. We have yet to choose our bathroom vanity. I have uploaded a bathroom layout so you can see the layout of the ensuite. The concept of a tower that you mentioned sounds like the tambour storage that I referred to as the shallow storage that sits near the back of the counter (say 12" deep). I thought tambour storage and storage tower were the same thing -- sorry I am such a rookie.

Thanks so much for your help.

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nycbluedevil,

Thank you thank you for giving us the cabinet, by cabinet break down of your vanity. It is just what we needed to know. Any chance you would be willing to post a picture? Do you ever find that the two sinks are too close together? What is the depth and height of your cabinets?

Everyone:

Does anyone think the water closet could be made a bitter narrower to give more space to the vanity? Are we better off size wise to do a tower in the middle of the vanity rather than either end? Please give me your opinion. The plumber is really pressuring us for a decision ASAP.

Thanks,

Carol

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

I wouldn't make the WC narrower. My powder room is 37" wide at that end (narrows to 36.5" at sink end), and I would love the extra 3" like you have! If you think the vanity is too cramped in a 94" (noticed it said 7'10") alcove, then maybe you should put in a single sink? But the plan you show is more than enough room (going by IIRC and NKBA) from wall to sink and sink to sink, you could put in cabinets at each end AND in the middle, IMHO (though I wouldn't make them wide). Are you having custom cabinets made or going with stock? Again, a lot depends on the base cabinet layout.

I think of a "tambour door" as the rollup kind like you have on a desk, didn't know how shallow you were talking. Sounds like we were both thinking of "towers" (to ceiling?) like I saw on houzz, 12" isn't really shallow but you could go deeper (say 20"?) from the examples I saw, though unless you're putting a hairdryer or something big in there I think stuff just gets shoved to the back and gets lost.

• nycbluedevil
    12 years ago

Carol

If you search "pics of my new bathrooms" you will see my pictures. There are two shots of the master bath (the other pic is the hall bath). One of those pics shows the vanity. Because our room is so narrow, I couldn't get a better shot but you can get the idea. There is 21" between the outer edge of both sinks. Absolutely plenty of room. Wasn't sure what you were asking regarding measurements, but the height of the vanity is 36" finished and the towers go to the ceiling, which is close to 9 feet. I would definitely not put the tower in the middle. I think it would chop up the space too much.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi ajsmama and nycbluedevil,

Thank for you both for your input.

Ajsmama, you asked if I was going to do stock cabinets. I really would prefer to due to budget. So, whatever I plan needs to fit into stock sizes (which I confess I do not know what those stock sizes are yet). Thanks for your input on the width of the water closet. You are right we have 94" of space for the vanity on the plan I posted. In an earlier version we had 96" with the extra two inches taken from the water closet. Right you are about the definition of tambour being a roll up door. In fact, I would like a tambour door at the bottom of the tower with an outlet behind, and then regular shelves with cabinet doors above. So I guess I want a bit of a hybrid between a tower and a tambour.

Nycbluedevil, right after I write this post I am going to search for your photos. I think I did see it when you first posted it, but need to examine the vanity more carefully. What I meant by the depth question, was how deep are your lower cabinets (not the towers)?

Everyone, do others think the vanity will be chopped up if we have the tower in the middle as opposed to two towers on either end?

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi again Nycbluedevil,

I just found your bathroom pics. Wow, they are gorgeous! I wondered if you could tell me how wide the sinks are across. From the picture, they did look round in shape. Is this correct? Thanks ever so much for your help!

Carol

• nycbluedevil
    12 years ago

SInks are 17 x 14 oval (Kohler Verticyl)--flat bottomed and very cool.

Base cabinets are 22" deep. Marble overhang takes them to 24" total depth.