Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can it hurt to seal porcelain tile?

Posted by pamelas_kitchen (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 13, 09 at 12:38

I have porcelain tile from Crossville and I'm using a combination of shiny and textured tiles on the floor, the shiny ones as accents. The Crossville web site says that the shiny tiles should be sealed with a water-based sealer before grouting. I don't understand why this should be done, but we'll do it anyway.

My question is, can we just seal the whole floor, shiny and matte, just for ease of not targeting a few smaller tiles?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can it hurt to seal porcelain tile?

Hi,
I'm definately not an expert and not sure of your particular tile but, I have some polished porcelain tile and will seal it with a penetrating sealer (I'm using AquaMix's) before I install/grout it. From what I read, the process of polishing the porcelain tile to make it shiny, creates some tiny pores. I think on Crossville's website there is a brochure that explains. In my instance, I only need to seal it the one time to prevent any grout haze from forming. On the Aqua Mix penetrating sealer, it says to only leave it on the tile for about 3 to 5 minutes and not let it dry. The tile has to be wiped dry. This way there isn't anything on the surface, only in the small pores...or that is what I understood anyway.

o
Re: Pamelas seal porcelain tile?

Pamelas, Sorry about the double post, but I just had a thought. If your tile hasn't been installed yet, might you just take the polished tiles out of the box and seal them 24 hours before installing them? My AquaMix sealer says it takes 24 hours to fully cure...?? I have no idea what might happen with your matte tiles if sealed, but I would do what the manufacturer says to err on the side of caution.

o
RE: Can it hurt to seal porcelain tile?

Thank you, I think the pre-sealing idea is a very good thought. My tiles have been installed already, but this might help someone who is thinking about installing shiny tiles.

I don't mind sealing the whole floor, I just don't want to do anything that would be bad for the textured, non-shiny tiles. But it probably wouldn't be that big a deal just to do the shiny ones.

And thank you for your explanation, I was wondering why there would be any reason to seal porcelain at all. I will explain it to the contractor, too.

Isn't there always something new to learn?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here