Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Medicine cabinet - best way to avoid mirror wear

Posted by linelle (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 12:36

I'm finally interviewing contractors for my hall bath remodel so it's getting real. Unless something else changes my mind, I'm planning to have a (new) horizontally placed mirror over the vanity, thinking about 30x40 and a recessed medicine cabinet on the adjacent side wall, doesn't have to be huge, +/- 26x16 (what I have in my other bathroom). The one I have is a Broan with a beveled edge. It's 9 years old and the mirror finish has worn away everywhere I touch it to open it, corner, bottom, halfway up the sides. Do I need a framed mirror to avoid that? I don't want a big frame. I suppose how the mirror over the vanity is finished will influence how the medicine cabinet is finished? Or does it matter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Medicine cabinet - best way to avoid mirror wear

I think a lot of the wear comes from water. In my old bathroom I had some wear around the edges. In the main bathroom, primarily used by DD there is almost no wear. She cleans that bathroom and I can almost guarantee that the most she does to the mirror is dust it, not wash it. I wash mine every week. Maybe that's why more wear on mine.

o

I clean my medicine cabinet mirror with Windex when it needs it, not even close to once a week. :) The wear isn't on the surface, just along the edge where I touch it to open it. I don't manhandle things, so this is clearly gradual erosion of the edge. I had wanted a simple beveled edge, but thinking a very narrow frame might be in order.

o

Mine is wall mounted so I don't even touch it with my fingers and there is wear around the edges. But I know you're correct that just the natural oils from your skin can wear it away over time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here