Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removal of shower base (pan)

Posted by lowmileage (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 12:25

Hi - I want to put in a new shower base (pan). The base is from when the house was built - 1964 (I know, ouch). I'm kind of stumped on how to remove it. It has a "pebbly" base. The drain is brass which seems to be imbedded into (maybe) concrete. I'm either getting a KBRS base that I would have to tile or a Onyx.com base that I wouldn't. I'd just like a bit of "heads up" on the how-to base removal before I start tearing things up. I know the walls have to come down (which is easy) because I have to get measurements from the studs to make the base. It would be a custom size because it is about 30 x 35 and standards appear to be 32 x 32.

This post was edited by lowmileage on Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 13:07

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removal of shower base (pan)

My daughter had a similar looking shower base in her 1964 home. The plumber said it was a terrazzo base. My son-in-law removed it himself but I don't recall exactly what he used to remove it. I recall that it took quite a bit of effort to remove it. I will try to ask him tomorrow and post back. In the mean time if you google "how do I remove an old terrazzo shower pan" you will find lots of information. Good luck

o

Air chisel.

o

Roto hammer + 4" blade if it's as thick as I think you'll find it to be.

o

Oh boy -
"I recall that it took quite a bit of effort to remove it."

I really didn't expect those answers - "Air chisel / Roto hammer + 4" blade"

But at least now I know and appreciate the answers.
thanks, Fred

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here