Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
likewhatyoudo

Need help remodeling my Master bath

likewhatyoudo
10 years ago

We have lived in this house for two years now. It is time to tackle the bathroom. We remodeled the rest of the house before we moved in with plans to do the bathrooms soon after but two years later we haven't touched them.

I think I want a freestanding tub and a larger shower. Plan on removing the glass block windows and replacing with a larger window with a transom. Also removing the storage area cubbies.

this is the current layout:

Comments (7)

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

How far are you willing to take the project? Down to the studs and open to relocating everything? Or keep most where it is just now and replace with newer fixtures? What don't you like about the current layout?

I can think of a couple of things I might change. It appears that your bed is close to the doors. I would not love that. Also, the closet is at the far end of the bathroom. I wouldn't like having to wait to get into the closet until the bathroom was unoccupied. Although, with a separate toilet room that might not be an issue.

Some idea of what you want to do or what you want to get rid of would help a lot. It's such a nice size space that you can do a lot with it.

• jewelisfabulous
    10 years ago

What is that to the left of the tub?

Your plan to get a larger shower and update the finishes through-out sounds great. Consider what you want to do with the tub -- oval garden tubs tend to be fairly unusable if you are tall. :)

• likewhatyoudo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for taking a look at things.

Lotteryticket - I would love to hear your ideas!

The closet has 2 doors - one into the bathroom and the other on the opposite end connecting to the laundry room/mudroom and entry, (picture below shows the door on the other end of the closet) it works out nicely for us and DH can access it even if the bathroom is being used. so it stays.
    I am willing to go down to the studs if the design can work in the space you see. Closet door and bedroom door will not change everything else is changeable.

The layout doesn't bother me as much as the dated finishes. I do want a larger shower and a freestanding tub at least 66 inches long. I thought it would work to take out the linen storage cubbie to the left of the tub to get more space on that wall.

It is just my husband and I in the house now and he showers for the most part in the other bathroom because we are getting ready in the AM at the same time just works better for us. So this is really just my bathroom and closet. He uses the guest room closet for his work clothes.

jewel - to the left of the tub is a built in linen storage cubby. I plan to remove it if i can maybe get some linen storage on the sink wall that would be nice to have.

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

I really like your laundry room! Thanks for the clarification on the use and layout. You can focus more of your budget on the fun stuff if you're ok with not relocating everything.

Replacing the vanities could potentially give you much more storage as there is a lot of open space under the sinks. I assume they are ADA compliant. If you need that can you do with just one of the sinks as compliant and then use the rest of the vanity as drawers/doors for storage? If you can do without it all together then you could either do a super long double vanity or two separate ones with a linen tower in between.

I agree you could go with a free standing tub. Replace the glass bricks with a different window (or windows) as long as you will still have some privacy. You might have to move the tub down a bit towards the corner. Then you could take down the wall between the tub and shower and put in a frameless glass shower, maybe splurge a bit on the tiles as they will be more visible without the wall.

If you want to carry the pretty wood floor right into the bathroom take a look at Calacatta. It looks so nice with the red/brown of the floor.

[Transitional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2112) by Briarcliff Manor Kitchen & Bath Designers Amazing Spaces

[Transitional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2112) by Briarcliff Manor Kitchen & Bath Designers Amazing Spaces

I'm leaning heavily towards a similar look to these pictures in our remodel.

• likewhatyoudo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lotteryticket - the bathroom was that way when we bought the house . We do not need ADA features. I am leaning toward these for my vanity space adding the towers on each end or one in the middle to compensate for losing my linen storage.

I did consider running hardwoods into the bathroom but really like the look of the tile and brighter look to a bathroom. I have hardwoods in the rest of the house except for the bathrooms. Love the wood floors.

I was hoping to get some ideas on how long of a shower would look appropriate if I stay in the 36 - 39 inch shower width and use frameless glass shower on 2 sides with a freestanding tub inline with each other. I want it to be balanced and relaxing.

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Seattle Kitchen & Bath Designers Kayron Brewer, CKD, CBD / Studio K B

[Farmhouse Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/farmhouse-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2114) by Norwich Architects & Designers Smith & Vansant Architects PC

• jewelisfabulous
    10 years ago

For budget planning purposes, that cabinetry with above surround by Seattle Kitchen & Bath will set you back about $7-8k I had a similar idea in mind for my remodel but had to abandon it due to cost.

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

Those are nice cabinets. I think a light tile and opening up the natural light over the tub will brighten up the room.

We just finished waterproofing the shower last night so I can really get a sense of how it will feel. Ours is about 40" X 50". It's enough for a one person shower and there is no bench although I plan to use a small teak or ceramic stool in the back corner. You may have enough room to make yours a bit longer as long as you leave enough room at either end of the tub for access/cleaning.