Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint/stain vanity?

Posted by KS_Chicago (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 12:14

Hello. I have a pretty nice master bath with a vanity that the original owner paid a lot if money for. It is all high end with soft closing doors, but... I absolutely dislike the light wood color of it. Everything else in the house is walnut including the floors and vanities in other bathrooms. Is there a way for me to paint or stain the vanity without making it look cheap? I would either want it to be dark wood/walnut color or I might also consider painting it light grey or white to get to that spa look... In any case, is that doable? I do not want to replace it given that it is a pretty expensive piece and I am not willing to pay anywhere near its price to replace it.

BTW, if you guys have any pictures of painted cabinets, please post them - I need some help with finalizing colors if this whole thing is doable.

Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint/stain vanity?

IF you decide to paint them, it is most likely that all you will have to do is sand them lightly first, then prime and paint. Easy. peasy.

IF you decide to stain them, it is most likely that you will have to remove all the finish and take them down to bare wood to apply the stain. Messy and stinky.

-Babka

o

Do you know what kind of wood it's made of? Maple, lightly stained oak, birch? They all finish a little differently. But I agree- in general painting is usually easier.

Lisa

o

If you use gel stain from General Finishes, maybe Antique Walnut, it is more than likely that sanding is not required. Gel stain is more like a paint and thus will cover some of the grfain; however, it can be used without primer. Google for more information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here