Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdp0430

Where to find 18" deep vanities

mdp0430
11 years ago

We have a very small full bath and I need to use an 18" deep vanity. I would like to keep the length 42".

Does anyone know where to look? I would hate the expense of going custom and can't seem to find any at Lowe's, HD, local showrooms, etc. Has to be 18" deep...

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments (32)

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Don't rule out custom. We had a local guy make us modified versions of the Sonia Europa vanities, for a lot less than the originals. We needed a very shallow vanity for our guest bathroom. and the size, layout, and style of the Sonia vanity (with overall, drawer, and open space height modifications) worked perfectly for our needs.

• sloyder
    11 years ago

These are very scarce, was looking for one also, going to make my own. Home Depot, and Lowes only have one style (very low end looking). Would just google 18" Vanity, be warned for whatever reason the smaller something is the higher in price. Wayfair has one for $479 without the top or sink. Also check out empire industries

Here is a link that might be useful: empire industries

• nhbaskets
    11 years ago

I've been searching for this also over the past week. I've found Strasser that are available online from HD as well as other online sites and at showrooms. When we redid our master last year we purchased our vanity from our kitchen designer. Many kitchen cabinet makers also do vanities.

• aiallega
    11 years ago

Add me to the list of people looking for an 18" deep vanity. The Strasser ones look nice but they seem really expensive for what they are. The Empire ones look really cheaply made in the pictures.

• elphaba_gw
    11 years ago

We chose ikea Godmorgon vanity and love it. We wanted the extra aisle space for ADA possible wheel chair access. But as it turns out, we love the shallow depth of the vanity without the ADA consideration. it is so nice to get close up to the mirror.
    We chose the white stained oak - has a rustic modern finish - reallly like it though I had my contractor put an extra coat of polyurethane on it - also, he installed an undermount sink and did some "hacking" to modify the cabinet drawers a little bit. Looks wonderful. highly recommend. We used a bank of 3 horizontal cabinets - Rubrik I think for above the counter. The white Rubrik goes well with the Godmorgon. Does have quite a modern look which we like. It will be interesting to see how long it will last.

• Karenseb
    11 years ago

Elphaba;
    I'd love to see a picture of your vanity. It sounds really nice.

• njg_viewpoint
    11 years ago

We remodeled our "galley" bathroom which is long and narrow four years ago. Bertch makes beautiful vanities in numerous styles that should work. Mine is 18 inches deep with a top that measures 19 inches deep. At the time, I did not like the tops that were available, but I was recently looking at some other products and was told that Bertch added granite and other choices for the 18 inch vanities. We went with a countertop that has a granite look and is called Terre Stone. Major Regret! The first was flawed and so was the replacement, but I just wanted to have my bathroom sink back, so I did not force them to sent a third. Wish I had gone with Corian; it is in my other bath, and I love it. I was penney wise and pound foolish on that one; not that the Terre Stone was cheap; just cheaper.

Bertch has a website so you can find a local dealer. Numerous places here in western PA carry their line.

• xand83
    11 years ago

Yeah, we just installed an Ikea godmorgon vanity over the weekend. Our bath is still in-progess, but here is a crumby, night cell-phone pic. The vanity is 47" x 18", but they have a 39/40" length, too.

All around, it's a pretty swanky vanity. The storage is fantastic. The dual sinks are sooooo much nicer than the crumby cultured marble sink we had prior. Plumbing it was less than fun, but very doable.

Good luck!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Xand83, did you use the ikea rinnen plumbing, or any part of it?

• xand83
    11 years ago

Yup, used all of the Rinnen plumbing bits, and then some. It took a little re-jiggering as our contractor placed the waste pipe in the center of the vanity, but added a long elbow that threw the plumbing off-center. So, after buying some 1 1/4" extension pieces, and lengthening an overflow hose, it works perfectly.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Thanks, xand83.

• kompy
    11 years ago

ALL (well most!) manufacturers offer 18" deep vanities as well as 21". I went with Showplace Wood Products in a "furniture style". It has real dresser legs....not just 'bun feet' applied in front of the toekick. I LOVE the extra openness it creates.

My bath pics are posted on a thread called "1930's Aqua and White Bathroom" or something like that. Here's a pic below. I have a total of 6 drawers. The top two were dummy drawers that we converted ourselves.

KOMPY

• lee676
    11 years ago

I'll be one more chiming in for the Ikea Godmorgan cabinets, especially when combined with their Odensvik sinks (the ones with single or double rectangular bowls and about 2-1/4" thick). The combination looks seriously high-end, although it's quite inexpensive, and I'd choose it over most cabinets and vanity tops I've seen at 3x to 4x the price. I used the 120cm (47"w) - though several other widths are available - the gloss-grey cabinet fronts, and wall-mounted it. I don't care for ikea's faucets, so used an elegant, yet mainstream-brand, squared-off waterfall faucet (must be single hole). The plumbing included with the sinktop allows the drain pluming to run immediately to the back, thus allowing the drawers to be tall and deep, with almost no protrusions from the plumbing. The dark-wood cabinet color option includes a nice set of handles that unfortunately aren't sold separately or available with other colors - I don't care for the top-lip pulls that are included with the other colors and will use different pulls purchased separately, as yet undecided.

No shortage of other 18"d deep cabinets and tops though. They're all over the place nowadays. If you want something fancier, look at Ronbow, or Keuco, or if you have a Porcelanosa store in your area (or on porcelanosa-usa.com), look there. Or Geberit or Duravit. Ferguson sells many - don't recall brands. And Home Depot and Lowes both have 18" vanities, though more often in the shorter widths.

• worriedone
    11 years ago

oooh such pretty bathrooms! Would love to demo mine. Gettin antsy :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

lee676, I think these are the coolest handles ever for the gray godmorgon, although these particular ones are discontinued, I think. But if you could find something similar.... (click for larger image)

[Modern Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2105) by Gibsons Interior Designer Dawna Jones Design

• lee676
    11 years ago

Those sure look great, although I don't know how easy they'd be to grasp. Those look just like the wall sconce lights I used too. My faucet is this reasonably priced Phister unit:

The Ikea Glira cabinet pulls are a perfect match to the faucet handle and sides, look great, and are cheap, but feel thin and chintzy too. So I'm still looking.

Another good brand for 18"d (or thereabouts") vanities is Laufen. I think they were what Ikea was trying to imitate with the Godmorgan, right down to the displaced plumbing. They have lots of small but efficient contemporary sinks, cabinets, tubs, and showers.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

lee676, another option would be to use push latches instead of pulls. I think there's a bathroom on houzz someplace where they used the Utrusta latches from the Besta series for a really clean look.

• lee676
    11 years ago

Never thought of that - it may work - the Ikea push latches are of high quality and work nicely. But they'll need to help latch and unlatch a sustantially heavier drawer full of stuff in this application rather than just a swinging hinged door, and wonder if they'l be weighted properly for deep-drawer use. Also if the insides of the doors would wear out or at least collect fingerprints and grime from being pulled open from there. Still, it would leave the clean lines intact and is original - I may try it.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

FWIW, here's the thread I saw on houzz. Finally found it.

Here is a link that might be useful: [godmorgon with besta push latches[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/master-bath-remodel-modern-bathroom-austin-phvw-vp~1773445)

• texaskitchentoo
    11 years ago

Try BarkerCabinets. They make RTA cabinets in just about any size you want. The construction is 3/4" finished maple ply that is very sturdy. Several door choices. If you want anything other than white, or clear finished you need to finish it yourself. You can buy a sample cabinet and doors if you want to see how they are made or practice on finishing techniques.

And they are made in USA, not those Chinese made RTA cabinets

Here is a link that might be useful: Barker Cabinets

• cherij0411
    10 years ago

I got one made by Fresca, www.discountbathroomvanities.com it is furniture style

• loudcolombian
    3 years ago

Hi there! This 2013 thread is really helping me in 2020! For those who used Ikea, how has your vanity held up? Interested to hear about the durability! With my luck, a 2020 vanity will be crap like the rest of this year lol

• xand83
    3 years ago

Moved to a different house but just installed the same vanity as we did in a condo 7 years ago. The Godmorgon is still really well made. I think some of the Rinnen plumbing has been downgraded a little, but the new vanity is A+. We also have the lillangen in 2 other bathrooms here (for 7 years) and they’ve been perfect.

• Nancy in Mich
    3 years ago

18 inch deep vanities are now far more common than they were in 2013 and can be found on most bathroom sites. The console style is especially easy to find in this depth. You can also find 12" deep vanities with a sink that bellies out in front of the cabinet.

I got one similar to this one that Houzz offers. I love the two drawers to hold supplies and the cupboard area is quite accessible.

The Pullman Bathroom Vanity, Gray, 30", Single Sink, Freestanding · More Info

Houzz alone has over 1800 variations on vanities 18" or less in depth.

• Judy Beims
    3 years ago

18'deep vanities

• loudcolombian
    3 years ago

Thanks Xand83! Nancy - I’ll double check but I need 36” wide and feel like that’s where the I’m limited on options. I just used WoodPro for a vanity in another bathroom and they would only make 18” deep until 30” wide.

• Nancy in Mich
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Houzz has 108 vanities between 16-18" deep and 35-36" wide HERE. You can have the sink in the center, flushed to the right with drawers on the left, or flushed to the left with drawers on the right. Floating or footed. On legs or with an inset kick space. Wood grain or painted, wood, laminate, or steel. Open shelf at bottom, or all open with one shelf. You have an embarrassment of riches to choose from, and this is only one site.

You should have tried looking for one five years ago!

• loudcolombian
    3 years ago

Super helpful - thank you, Nancy!

• jambre
    3 years ago

The 18 inch depth is difficult to find for smaller widths such as 30-33 inch. We are having great difficulty finding anything without having to custom order.

• Nancy in Mich
    3 years ago

Do the same search on Houzz or Wayfair.com or even Build.com that I just did for 35-36” vanities. Go into their search criteria and adjust them to your size and you will find hundreds of them. Be sure to be flexible on depth. Enter 12-18” if there is a slider. You may find your perfect one at 17” depth.

• Nancy in Mich
    3 years ago

Also, if you are buying a vanity only, without the top, the depth of the vanity will not include the inch overhang that tops typically have. Be sure what your space requires. Does the whole thing, top and all, have to be 18" or under, or do you have some leeway? The description or the specification sheet for any item online should include the actual measurements of each piece.