Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally replacing the MBa vanity-now what?

Posted by suzannesl (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 12:09

This vanity is original to the house, so it's been in place since 1971. We've lived here since 1974. A number of years ago we refinished it and added new pulls. About 5 years ago we replaced the toilet and the shower door (you can see it in the mirror), tiled the floor, and once again, repainted the walls. The light over the mirror is problematic, hence no cover. We need to replace the sink (the overflow hole is disgusting), so it's really time to replace the vanity at the same time.

photo MB-2_zps5a39ceef.jpg

We're pretty much decided on a bamboo, slab front cabinet. If the stone yard has enough of this White Ice granite after they do someone's kitchen, we'll use the remnant. We have our eye on a rectangular undermount sink. I'm thinking about a mirror illuminated from behind. There is another full length mirror on the bathroom door which is important for being able to see the back of me. Currently, that over-mirror light is the only lighting in this bathroom, which has been adequate, but I'm open to suggestions. We know that the floor tile will not extend all the way to the new footprint. We probably have some left-overs to add next to the toe kick, or we (meaning me) could tear it up and do something else.

I'd like to do something interesting to that back wall. Tile? Tile with a stripe? Other ideas? This is a 5' x 7.5' bathroom plus the 33" x 33" shower alcove. The shower is staying as is. This bathroom is directly off our bedroom vs. off a hallway. We have a minor black and white thing going on in the bedroom and the cat's water dish in the bathroom (I did say minor), so we could potentially play off that. On the other hand, I chose these tiles when we were doing the front walk and I love them.
 photo backsteps_zps074b42ab.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally replacing the MBa vanity-now what?

Unless you already have tile in the shower surround that you can continue, I wouldn't do tile on the back wall. I think that would be too many different materials in a small bathroom. I would be inclined to hang a nice piece of artwork on that wall.

o

No, the shower isn't tile. It's a prefab acrylic unit that is in such good shape there's no excuse for doing something else. :-(

o

I like your cabinet and countertop choices.

"The light over the mirror is problematic, hence no cover"
What does this mean? Other than not being very attractive, does this mean that there are wiring problems? Or, does it not give off enough light? If that's already the problem, the issue with a light behind a mirror is that it only illuminates that area. If there isn't any other light source the rest of your bathroom will be quite dark.

This bathroom is quite small and your countertop has a fair bit of movement in it. Be careful of what you do on that back wall. The ones on the steps could look very busy in this small room. To help with the budget, what if you just hung a really nice black and white print on that wall?

Can you post a better photo of your current flooring?

The entry to the bathroom is very tight with that vanity there. Is it possible to change that door to a pocket ? There seems to be a solid wall to the right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here