Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northminnesota_gw

Add crown molding?? PIP

northminnesota
13 years ago

So we are coming close to finishing the remodel of our master bath. The contractor had forgotten that we were to have crown molding as stated in our contract. He asked if we would like to forget about it and just get credited for it. I want the crown molding as I really think it would add to the room. H is seriously considering the credit. Don't you think the crown molding would really finish off the room nicely??

Comments (18)

• sue_b
    13 years ago

Yes, I think you would miss the crown molding if you gave it up after expecting it. Ours is Timbron and is made of recycled plastic so it can never mold in a wet environment. When painted it looks exactly like wood crown molding.

Here is a link that might be useful: Timbron trim from recycled material

• annemouse
    13 years ago

Do you have crown moldings in the other rooms? Then maybe you should add it in your bathroom, too. Other then that, I do not care for crown molding. I prefer modern, clean lines and a "no frills look" and love the way your bathroom looks now.

• miniscule
    13 years ago

Sounds like the design you wanted had crown moldings, and it certainly would fit in with the design and trim on your window and other areas, the style of your light fixtures, etc. If you still want it, insist the contractor just do it -- he probably wants to get on to another job, and it will be more time, trouble and cost for you to find someone else to do it as a standalone job.

• catbuilder
    13 years ago

Your bathroom is BEGGING for crown molding. It will complement it so nicely, and give it that finished, polished look.

• silly_me
    13 years ago

I agree w/ annemouse - you have a modern looking room - your tub and windows are not "traditional" in style.

I think crown would be overkill with what you have now and it would detract from the nice clean contemporary look you've got going.

• northminnesota
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ha! Seems like we are all split on this!

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

I'd recommend crown for that room.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

I think it has enough going on that I would not add another element, like crown molding.

• tateland
    13 years ago

I LOVE your bathroom! I think you could go either way. We are in the middle of our remodel , similar to yours with the wainscot+chair Are you tiling around the shower opening? would love to see more pics of the progress We are doing tumbled trav wainscot as well with chair rail What is your paint color? love it.

ps I am on the fence about the crown in my bath as well

• Billl
    13 years ago

Are you staying a while or are you planning on selling soon?

If it is just for you, then do whatever you like.

If you are selling soon, I'd put the crown up. There a quite a few buyers who think every room on earth needs crown, but not a lot of people who are put off by it in a room like that.

• northminnesota
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are staying for a while. I wanted the big, old, double wide jacuzzi gone and put in the plain soaking tub for me. That is what drove the remodel. Yes, the archway will be tiled, didn't want any water problems since we will try to not have a door so I want the tile wrapped around the edge. Hopefully the tile will be finished today and the grout in next week! There will not be tile to the right of the shower arch. Will check on the color of paint. I will post pictures after we are finished...thanks for asking.

• itltrot
    13 years ago

I'd say crown it.

• peteinsonj
    13 years ago

Absolutely crown moulding -- it fits with the style of the window casing and with the ogee detail on the tile. Don't not do it!

(great bathroom!)

• monicakm_gw
    13 years ago

Beautiful bathroom! I vote for crown molding. Just looks unfinished and cheap without it and your bathroom is anything but cheap looking!

• treasuretheday
    12 years ago

Your bathroom is gorgeous but I agree with Catbuilder... the room begs to be finished off with crown to compliment all of the other beautiful elements!

• Fori
    12 years ago

I would prefer it without, but you should do what YOU like. Um, and the spouse, too, I suppose.

• ncamy
    12 years ago

Depends on what the credit would be! If it is substantial then I'd forego it. If it's not really enough to make a difference, then go ahead and have him put it up. I think it will look fine either way.