Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treasuretheday

Make-up vanity

treasuretheday
11 years ago

I came across this picture of a make up vanity today on houzz and thought that it was so well designed that I'd share for anyone searching for ideas for a make up table.

Contemporary Bathroom design by San Francisco Architect W. David Seidel, AIA - Architect

Here's a wider view of the space...

Contemporary Bathroom design by San Francisco Architect W. David Seidel, AIA - Architect

This post was edited by treasuretheday on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 12:03

Comments (10)

• User
    11 years ago

I think it's attractive, but not particularly well designed for actually putting on makeup. That's a closeup operation, and that mirror is much too far away to be able to do eye liner or mascara. Especially for us old blind people!

• treasuretheday
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmmmm... In that case, I'd just use a piece of magnifying mirror.

• User
    11 years ago

You must be either male (like the architect of that bath, which is like getting a kitchen designed by someone who doesn't cook) or have perfect eyesight, or not wear makeup! A magnifying mirror at that distance will not work for makeup application. It needs to be no more than 12" away. Closer, if you have vision correction for myopia. And then when old age and presbyopia hits, you would need even more magnification at about 14"-16" away. A mirror 21" away never works. And that is why smaller portable makeup mirrors are popular. Especially those with variable magnification.

I do really like the lift up top that conceals the ephemera, and a distance mirror never goes amiss. I just take issue with areas like this being termed a "makeup" area when they aren't usable as such by most of the population that actually wears the stuff. Not without accessory mirrors and lighting, that is. To that end, having that outlet within that recess to which a small accessory makeup mirror could be plugged into would makes the whole space more usable for sure.

This post was edited by live_wire_oak on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 14:13

• None Ofyourbusiness
    10 years ago

I've clipped this post. Looks great for me. It's going to be the same distance as a reg bathroom mirror. If I want to get closer, I'll just lean forward...

• busybee3
    10 years ago

even tho i don't use a vanity (i cannot do my hair or apply makeup sitting down!!!), i also think it looks like a good design... i like the lights, the depth of the space under the lift top, the outlet, and the 2 small drawers on the sides.
    i would think if a person has vision issues or does alot of fine detail work, a fold open magnifying mirror could be kept under the lifttop! or maybe a pullout one could even be installed onto a corner of the lifttop mirror...
    i would have builtin organizers made in part of the space under lifttop...

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Agree with LWO. It looks good, but wouldn't function for me at all (and I prefer to sit down when putting on makeup). Most of us serious about getting our makeup to look good need two things: 1) A magnifying mirror at a close distance and 2) good lighting. Both the mirror and lighting can be brutal in that they tell the truth, but that's what I need, at least in the privacy of my makeup zone. I use a small desk in my office and have little trays that I stash in the center drawer when I'm done.

• mrsdelvalle2
    5 years ago

this is exactly what I've been looking for! thanks for sharing!!

• mrswaves
    5 years ago
    I love it! I’m getting a makeup counter (not in our vanity, but a separate area) and have screen shot the pics for inspiration. Thanks for sharing!
  • Helen
    5 years ago

This would not be functional for me because the design means nothing could be left on a significant part of the counter because anything on top would have to be moved to access storage.

As others have pointed out, the mirrored interior is completely useless and redundant. The wall mirror serves the function of providing an overall view and there is no magnifying mirror which is critical.

Far more functional are pullouts to the side which can be accessed while using the vanity. Some of these have a plug so that hair dryers can be plugged in. A drawer would provide storage while allowing the actual counter area to also be used to hold things instead of requiring the counter to be completely empty.

Its nice looking in a modern way as people associate vanities with frou frou but the same clean streamlined look can be achieved with a functional vanity.