Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerrygw

Mind sharing b&w basketweave pics?

kerrygw
15 years ago

Hi all,

We are remodeling our "new" (early 1900s) house, and part of the process is to redo the 2 full and 1 half baths. Would those of you with black and white basketweave floors mind showing me your pics, and letting me know what color grout you used? I'd really appreciate seeing others ideas - and I promise to share whenever this all gets done! :-) Thanks so much!

Comments (19)

• ekscrunchy
    15 years ago

I am not savvy enough to post pics, but I have (and love) ceramic tile B&W basketweave in master bathroom. Grout is black and the floor needs very little maintenance.

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

I just did the 2 kids' baths in our 1950s house with black and white marble basketweave. We used light grey grout. I love it!

Pics aren't great as I never found a way to photograph the basketweave well. here is the best I have. In the 2nd photo, the tile isn't done, nor is the cabinet.

{{gwi:1406119}}

{{gwi:1406121}}

{{gwi:1406123}}

Anita

• kerrygw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ekscrunchy - ahhh, you're killing me - i'd love to see it with the black grout! :-) glad to hear you are happy with it though - i love the idea!

Anita - beautiful bathroom! we are looking for the b&w for our kids bath as well - have you found the marble to be too slippery? we have small kids so that was mentioned to me as a concern.

thanks!!

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

No, the marble isn't slippery. i think that is because the pieces are small so you have the grout areas to "catch" your feet. We have the basketweave all through the shower floor as well and haven't had any slipping. Our kids are 10, 8, and 5.

We used a grey grout and I'm so glad. 6 months in, it would look awful already if we'd used white grout. As it is, it just looks as if the tile has always been here which is kind of what I wanted.

I got a great internet deal on my marble basketweave. I was worried about buying from an internet vendor but it worked out great.

Anita

• kendog2
    15 years ago

Anita,
    Your bathroom looks great. I am curious about your free-standing walls. I have been told my many people that a wall without support (not anchored to the ceiling) will be wiggly at the top. We want to build a doorless shower with a tiled wall similar to yours. The wall would be 5' tall and about 4 feet long. Our house is on a concrete slab. Do you have a wood foundation? I wonder if that makes a difference.

My DH is going to run a 4x4 post to the ceiling where the wall ends. I am not thrilled with how this will look. Do you have any problems with your wall moving? How long has it been installed? Thanks.

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

Hi, Kendog. My bathroom is on the 2nd floor so we're definitely on wood joist substructure.

I don't notice any wiggling in the walls at all. We finished about 8 months ago. The walls are about the same size you describe, and since I took that photo the glass panels have been installed on top of the walls up to the ceiling. The glass panels are just for temperature & water control; I'm sure they don't stabilize at all.

No one mentioned to me that the walls might be wiggly...I am going to see my GC sometime this week for punch list and I'll ask him.

Anita

• kimkitchy
    15 years ago

kendog2 - in our master suite we are doing three half walls (just so we don't chop up our small 1/2 story space so much). When the contractor framed the walls he added a piece of heavy duty angle iron - about the height of the wall - fastened to the last stud in the free end of the wall cavity. Then the dry wall went on. Those half walls don't move a bit. HTH -Kim

• mosaic_king
    15 years ago

• kerrygw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Anita - I appreciate it!
    MosaicKing - any chance you have examples of those tiles installed?
    Thanks!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

• ekscrunchy
    15 years ago

I wish I knew how to post pics!! Notice that the shape of the white tiles in the ceramic basketweave are "bow-shaped" and not rectangular, as are the marble ones. This gives an amazing visual effect, like a ribbon weave...

I used the Michael Smith tiles: Expensive but my bathroom is tiny!! The black grout is the key to easy maintenance.

• kerrygw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ekscrunchy - If you upload your photos to Photobucket, there's a box on the right side of the screen that says "Share This Image". You can copy and paste the HTML Code line there into the body of a message and that should bring the pic across - when you preview your message you should be able to see it. Sounds like a great bathroom - I like those Michael Smith tiles!

Casey - awesome bathroom - you did a fantastic job!

Thanks!

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Here is my powder room floor. If you want a closer pic let me know.

• Jeannine
    15 years ago

I hope to have some pictures to share tonight. My tile guy is finishing up the wall and moving to the floor today!

You can see photos of what I bought on my Flickr page. I won't bother posting pics until it's actually down on the floor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeannine's photos

• teddychicago
    15 years ago

Has anyone tried this tile from Home Depot by Merola? I ordered a sample that should be arriving soon. It's black and white PORCELAIN basketweave, the only one I've found online. Thanks :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Merola black and white porcelain basketweave

• kerrygw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow everybody, thanks so much - I love seeing all the pictures! dlm2000 - that bathroom is amazing! I never would've thought about the black beadboard, but it's perfect. jeannine - i snuck a look at your flickr page - the bathroom is looking great and i love the tile! how long is the tiling job taking them? thanks so much!

• Jeannine
    15 years ago

We bought Laticrete's Silver Shadow grout (Mapei's Warm Grey is close). The floor isn't done, but here's the current state of things in the bathroom with a close up of the grout.

Grout without flash:

Grout with flash:

• kerrygw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It looks terrific Jeannine - you must be so excited!

• mosaic_king
    15 years ago

I just finished another bathroom in B&W basketweave, here are some pictures to share with you.

The basketweave is polished, I actually prefer honed, but customer wants polished.

Bought online at $12 a sq ft shipped.

Enjoy and let me know if you need more pictures.