Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winesnob_gw

Shower Niches - what did you do

winesnob
12 years ago

My contractors are questioning me about the shower niches.

I am going to have a 3 foot bench as you walk in - body sprays on one side, shower bar on back wall and a rain shower. The perfect place has too many electrical wires. Would it be better to have a long narrow one with two shelves or two separate. What are your thoughts?

Comments (11)

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

I agree with treasuretheday and so we are putting ours on the back wall two 12/12 openings one on top of the other. They are not centered but close to the corner.

• kaysd
    12 years ago

I prefer to put shower niches on the side wall, rather than the back wall, so they are less visible. We have our shower head centered on the left side wall and two stacked niches centered on the right side wall.

• winesnob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you. The cut out is made, as in singular, with three shelves, two 7" and one 15". I hope it will be okay. I feel as if I have been working on this remodel since 1500BC....I can't believe it is only Monday and I want so much for Saturday to get here for quiet....

• winesnob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BTW great niche, thanks for the pictures. And in inquiring minds would like to know what exactly is a pony wall?

• treasuretheday
    12 years ago

Thanks, winesnob. A pony wall is a half wall with glass on top... something that I learned here on GW myself!

• Intoodeep
    12 years ago

We are having a similar dilemma. I have 2 identical niches - about 11" wide by 43" tall. We will be using glass shelves.

I am trying to decide where to put the shelves since I am short and my shampoo bottles are tall(costco shampoo, about 12-13" tall). The niches are about 34" off the ground.
    I can't decide if I need 2 or 3 shelves. Any ideas? I know it will look pretty, but I want it to be functional!

• adel97
    12 years ago

I gave my GC my big, honking Costco shampoo bottle and told him "be sure this fits in the niche"! Above the main shelf where I keep the shampoo and conditioner, I have a shorter shelf for soap, razor, etc.

• outsideplaying_gw
    12 years ago

I just read the post about benches (say yes to the bench) and I'd also say yes to the niche(s). Like Sharonite says, make sure your big tall stuff fits in one and keep a shorter one for the soap, razor and other assorted little things that always end up in the shower. We have an over-sized shower and actually have 'his and hers' niches and a bench. Works great.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Just had to say that niche is gorgeous. :)

We have two one at the front and another at the back of the tub which is the side walls of the bathroom. Love them but they sure aren't that pretty.

• shmeal
    12 years ago

Those are pretty niches. We simplified the whole decision and instead of doing niches we are just adding a 4" ledge across the short end wall of the shower. It's the perfect size for all the bottles and everything we use in the shower and is even wide enough for me to create little groupings.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor