Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning hex tile grout?

Posted by threegraces (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 11:40

A previous owner put in a hex tile bathroom floor and while the style is great, the grout looks dirty and discolored in various spots. Other places it is still nice and white which only shows how dirty other spots look. I found something called Polyblend Grout Renew but that was for larger tiles, not (what seems like) thousands of grout lines around tiny hex tiles. Would I really have to apply a product to each grout line?

I have tried various cleaning household products, a scrub brush, elbow grease, oxyclean, etc. Nothing really whitened it that well.

Any ideas? This is what our tile looks like

Here is a link that might be useful: Grout Renew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning hex tile grout?

I swear the tile pros said before the best way to clean the tile (and maybe grout was with a steam mop). I also believe they said bleach will break down the grout over time but maybe use it once if it worked and then maintain with the steamer?

o

I saw something on a blog today about cleaning grout and it was with products I had never thought about. Might be worth a shot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scrub Grout

o

Thanks so much for the ideas. The thought of scrubbing each grout line is enough to make me cry. Or enough to say, who CARES if my grout is dirty?!?!

o

Mix up some bleach 50/50 with water. Use a brush and agitate it over the floor, liberally. Let it sit a while and brush it again. Flush it out with clean water and sin no more.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here