Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saw50st8

Help With Tiny Powder Room

Shira S
13 years ago

I have a tiny powder room that we are remodeling along with our kitchen. I need help with some design questions:

1) The bathroom is 3'X6'6". We are looking at Toto toilets - either a Carlyle or Aquia II. I like the style of the carlyle better but the aquia is 1" smaller. In such a tiny bathroom, would you choose the smaller toilet?

2) How large of a sink/vanity would you choose? I want a vanity with some sort of storage/shelf possibilities rather than a pedestal sink, but I really don't like the look of the sink with half cabinet.

Here is the layout:

From Kitchen Plans

Comments (8)

• catbuilder
    13 years ago

You have room for the longer toilet if you go with a smaller door. I have a 24" door in my powder room, which is just fine. With a pocket door, you would have even more clearance going through the doorway than I have with the swinging door.

Have you considered converting a dresser for the vanity?

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

What do you want to store near the sink? I'm guessing you only have around 42" between the front of your toilet and the wall (or maybe less), so you'll need to make certain there is plenty of room between the toilet and the sink. I'm guessing there is a code to specify the distance, but I'd opt for at least 24".

You could do a shelf (maybe a nice glass one) just below the mirror and above the faucet. Or you could do a recessed medicine cabinet (so it looks just like a mirror but opens to storage inside). You could also do shelves or cabinets of some sort over the toilet. These options would give you some (small) storage and still allow you to have a wall mounted or pedestal sink.

Have you looked at some of the vanities that have drawers instead of doors? They look less like a cabinet and more like a piece of furniture. For that matter you could even convert a piece of furniture that you like (maybe a small dresser) into a vanity.

• bob_cville
    13 years ago

I put in a powder room that is almost exactly the same dimensions 36" x 6'6". I went with a Toto UltraMax toilet. I think the code specifies that there be 24" clear in front of a toilet. For the sink I also didn't like the look of a pedestal sink, but also didn't find any vanities that I liked that were shallow enough (front to back) to fit within the code-mandated space.

I ended up using a "semi-cassa" style sink that sticks out from the vanity, and then built a custom wall-mounted vanity from left over ipe deck boards.

{{gwi:1405916}}{{gwi:1405917}}

• Shira S
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bob, that looks really nice.

I'm not looking for too much storage...I really just want a place to put a spare toilet paper roll and towel.

I liked the look of the link below, but DH thinks its too modern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vanity

• Richard McGown
    13 years ago

Here are a couple of other vanity combos (top and cabinet together) that you might consider. They are all super affordable. Some might not fit exactly but you can check them out at The Home Depot.

• bob_cville
    13 years ago

I would have loved a item like farbewerk linked to: http://www.stpaulhomeproducts.com/catalog/Vanity-Combos/Del-Mar-Vanity-Combo-36in-Espresso/
    but the end of my powder room where the vanity goes pinches down to about 33" due to some plumbing vent pipes at one end, so the 36" one would not have fit.

• suero
    13 years ago

You can use a dual roll toilet paper holder or a canister to store multiple rolls near the toilet. Alternatively, consider a partially recessed deep medicine cabinet (Robern makes 6" and 8" deep cabinets).

• nicole__
    13 years ago

I like the pic YOU posted...it's very stylish! I'm doing a tiny powder room remodel right now and going more for an arts & crafts look....decorating styles seem to be in flux right now. I just saw a show where they took out the chrome fixtures and put in BLACK....? I didn't even know they had black....