Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
floorplan and rendering. feedback requested

Posted by sojay (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 11:38

This is a renovation of a master bath. Mostly I'm keeping everything in place.
The windows in the tub alcove are currently glassblock that have seriously deteriorated, and I don't have a need for privacy in that direction, so they are being replaced with large full-height sliding windows and a sliding door to access the bathroom from outside (it's a lake house). The current tub is built-in and fills out the entire alcove area. I think a free standing tub with a handshower over a floor drain to use to rinse off after swimming will be a better solution.
I am a bit concerned, though, about accessing behind the tub for cleaning, but I'm hoping a hose-down from the handshower will do it.

photo ScreenShot2014-03-14at104614AM_zps59714356.png

The look I'm going for is modern/asian.
The cabinets are standard Ikea above-fridge cabinets customized with drawers and non-ikea bamboo drawer fronts.

Questions:
Niche above the counter or no?
Supporting legs should be what material? Metal legs? tiled 4x4s? Other?
I'd love for the cabinets to float completely, but they are 24' deep including what is beyond the backsplash. And the counter is heavy: 2" concrete.

I haven't decided on flooring yet. Maybe a porcelain slate look-alike or acid stained concrete.

photo mabarend_zpsaf210111.png

I am also a bit concerned with the shower door opening, but they open inwards also. I'd like to make it curb free and treat the toilet-shower area as a wetroom, just like the bath alcove. Or should I wet-room the entire room? If I put in electrical floor heating, will that create a problem with the wet-room?

photo ScreenShot2014-03-14at112646AM_zpse126c389.png

Any ideas, comments etc are very welcome, as I am very soon about to embark on this project.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: floorplan and rendering. feedback requested

Wet room the entire bathroom since you are having a floor drain.

o

No knowledge about the wet-room and heated floors.
Sorry, don't care for that niche.

If the vanity was floating, you wouldn't have to worry about water on supports no matter what the material.
If you Google "extra large floating bathroom vanity" , a houzz site lists and there are some gorgeous ones there and they are probably as heavy as yours.
(sorry, don't know how to give you a link)

Some suggestions, for what little they may be worth:
- move the sink run to the right, putting in a tall linen closet to the left of the run
- remove the toilet and put the shower on that wall, facing the sinks (seems a little close to the toilet when stepping out)
- move toilet to end of sink run
- move the tub across from the toilet (but not angled) leaving it out a little to clean behind

o

Thanks!

Of your ideas, Canuck, I like best the tall linen closet one. I'll see how I can make that work. I think I'll skip the shelves on the right and the niche also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here