Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Vanity backsplash - how much?

Bunny
10 years ago

I am meeting with a contractor next week to discuss redoing my hall bath. I've got a general idea of the elements and finishes I want, although I am trying to remain as open and flexible as possible, e.g., counter material. There will be plenty of decisions to be made and I'd like to have some basic questions answered as much in advance as possible.

Here's a pic of my current vanity. I plan to replace it with one the same size; I will stay with one sink. The current counter is cultured marble and so is the backsplash. That's one material that won't be making a return visit. :)

I think I want to keep a 4" backsplash, either in the counter material or a run of tile. I'm flexible. I really don't want the backsplash to go any higher than that.

Finally my question: Do I need the backsplash on the shorter wall? With one sink in the middle, it doesn't get wet over there. Since the vanity will be snug into that corner, would there possibly be wall unevenness or gaps that might need to be covered?

Comments (12)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I'm not really sure what the question is! We recently did two new vanities, one is 48" with a single sink, and the other 60" with a double sink. We put a 4" backsplash behind both but no side backsplash in either (just don't like the look). We also scooted the 48" vanity over so its centered in the alcove and doesn't reach the wall on either side (picture attached - sorry its upside down).

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sj, okay I buried my question till the end, but you figured it out! Do I need the backsplash on the shorter wall? Side wall might have made more sense.

I'm not crazy about the look either. Mine will be similar to yours, except not suspended from the ceiling. :p And it will be snug in the corner. Yours looks great, but you have that space on the right so it's a moot point. I'd just as soon not have it either, but wonder if there will be a tiny gap that may need to be covered.

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

I agree with sjhockey. I like the backsplash in the bathroom as the same counter material or something in a similar tone. No side wall splash needed.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SJ, what is your counter material and what kind of sink? Would love not getting another oval.

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

No you don't need a sidesplash. And yes it will look ok without one. Just make sure your fabricator knows that is what you want and it is up to him to make sure that it fits. I would do the backsplash in the counter material.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Anna, I also like the b/s in the counter material. I'm not trying to make any statements or get anyone's attention in that spot.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

but you have that space on the right so it's a moot point.

that's true of the 48" vanity, but we also have a 60" vanity that does hug one side wall, and we didn't put a backsplash on that one either.

The material is Ceasarstone Organic White - we had a remnant from our kitchen, 3 cm, that we used for the 60" vanity, and for the one in the picture, we used another remnant the fabricator had on hand, 2 cm. We used the 2 cm remnant for both backsplashes (3 cm is too thick for a backsplash).

The sink is the Kohler Archer, which we paired with a faucet from Lowe's (Aquasource brand, which might be their house brand).

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I just figured out how to get the vanity off the ceiling! Just tap (or left click) on the photo and voila, there it is turned around. Looks really nice that way. ;-)

-Babka

• enduring
    10 years ago

I have the 3cm on my backsplash and I think it looks good. I have mine matching so there was not option to go with 2cm unless I wanted my counter to be 2cm.

• xc60
    10 years ago

I always choose not to do a splash and bring the mirror right down to counter, never had a issue but if I had kids who like to splash a lot then I would just have one on the back counter only and not the sides. We also use the Archer sinks in all bathrooms and will be having them again in our new build. :)

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

xc60, that looks really slick. However, even though I don't have little kids, I'm afraid that lower part of the mirror would be a disaster in my house.

• enduring
    10 years ago

We had a mirror down to the 4" backsplash that was in the torn out bathroom and the mirror was a mess at the end of 3 decades. Even within 15 years it was going down hill with delimitation of the mirror backing. I didn't install the original but did help ruin it ;) I love the look of the mirrored area but I want more durability with water contact.