Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lecuzz

shower without any door

lecuzz
14 years ago

I am thinking about having a shower without a door. I am assume its one less thing to keep clean and one less expenses. if you have any photos of showers without a door, please post so that I can get design ideas. Also, if you have a shower without a door, please let me know if you are pleased with the result.

Thank you

Comments (26)

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I have a shower without a door. Unfortuantely it doesn't photograph well, but here's the floor plan:

I think that a problem with a doorless shower can be draftiness. It is not a problem for us because the shower is in a small room with the toilet, and the design keeps the warmth and steam in.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention that I LOVE not having a shower door to clean!

Here's a picture of a tub turned doorless shower that I found on the John Bridge tile forum:

• bobb_2010
    14 years ago

It looks so "public." :) But yeah, excellent remo if that's your goal. Use glass blocks instead for airiness and light?

• baxter01
    14 years ago

Not sure this will work but I thought I'd try. The size of the shower is 4 x 5

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower just after completion

• sundownr
    14 years ago

One of our showers doesn't have a door and we like it.

{{gwi:1405811}}

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

Couldn't access the picture baxter, and I have a facebook account. Try photobucket.

• kiagarden
    14 years ago

sundownr ,
    LOVE your bathroom. Wouldn't never have thought to paint ceiling that color - but WOW - I'm impressed. What color is it - dark brown, black???? What is the rocky substance above the tile? GREAT JOB - thanks for sharing.

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

No problems, no negative issues whatsoever. Well, except that I made a teak door for this shower several years ago that's sitting around waiting for my wife to let me install it.

• baxter01
    14 years ago

Here is a bad twitpic of it. Hope it helps. Our is way more open than anyone else I have seen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower by mobile

• lakekristina
    14 years ago

This is something we've been contemplating too. Our shower is going to be roughly 48"x48", maybe an inch or so larger. It has 3 solid walls, and I'd love to just leave the fourth opening free and clear. Tile will be outside the shower, so I'm not too concerned with splash.

Any thoughts on if a 4x4 is too small for a doorless shower? It will have 2 heads one wall (can't have plumbing on external walls due to potential for freezing pipes).

• sundownr
    14 years ago

kiagarden, sorry to be so late and thank you for your comments. The ceiling is black and that is marble tile above the porcelain tile. There is a picture of the tile on this thread

Here is a link that might be useful: close up of Porcelanosa bubble tile

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Here are a couple:

This first one, you step in the door, and the "L" shaped shower hooks to the right and you see what's in the second picture:

This one is a double ended shower, with the door in the middle:

This next one is just a straight shower-- you walk in the door and turn to the left, and the shower goes in for about 6 feet:

This one's like the last, but it turns to the right:

For those who've been around here a while, and seen my favorite niche, this is the shower it comes from.

• slc2053
    14 years ago

Bill V. Thanks for these photos...and lecuzz, thanks for this post!

Bill, if you don't mind, of the two showers above that you step into and turn to the right...could you provide both dimensions of these showers and width of the door openings? We're planning this very type of shower but keep debating the size because fear of water splashing out. Thanks so much!!

• techiestar
    14 years ago

I love this concept and very much want to create it in a future house. I recently spent 3 months backpacking SE Asia and fell in love with the ease of design of bathrooms there. They tile the whole room up to spray level, put a drain in the center of the floor, and hook up a shower (often a hand held) somewhere on the wall. The toilet paper gets kept in a dry holder and there is usually just one towel rack that is far enough away from the shower to stay dry. The whole room gets wet, especially in the tiny bathrooms! Frankly, I loved it, because it was so easy. No fuss, no muss, no worry. Obviously not going to work for most of us here, but the no door shower totally leans in this direction.

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Wow sundownr & mongoct, your baths are gorgeous. Really great design examples of doorless showers.

Good luck with your bath lecuzz, look forward to your design.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    14 years ago

Techiestar, that sounds almost like my dream bathroom. Add a self-cleaning feature similar to a dishwasher and a gasketed bathroom door and voila, low maintenance!

• slc2053
    14 years ago

bump

• wallycat
    14 years ago

Some of these are gorgeous!
    My DH wanted to know if a doorless shower is possible
    with a fiberglass (the thought of cleaning grout is unappealing)insert type of thing??
    Anyone?

• sherry326
    14 years ago

Here's some pics from my new doorless shower. I do have a clear shower curtain in it, however and it works great. SO nice not to have a plastic shower pan or any caulk to keep up with.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Shower

• david k
    8 years ago

Terriks, I have a question about your shower floorplan because I think we're trying to do something similar. Do you walk into the shower area where the dashed line is at the 2'10" dimension, then turn right to get to the actual shower, so the square area just above the toilet is all part of the shower area (made of the same materials for the floor, walls, etc) but acts as an area where the water will splash but not get on the floor?

• david k
    8 years ago

also, i forgot to ask, is the length of the shower a standard ~64" ? I don't see a dimension for that on the drawing. Also, if my assumption about the shower entry is correct, what is the dimension for the opening when you turn right to go into the main shower part? It looks to be a little less than half of the total shower length.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    8 years ago

Our shower was custom built with the house in 1989. I am not thrilled with no door because there is no place to hang a shower curtain, and water splashes onto the cabinets and weathers the wood badly. This is a pre-reno photo. With all the tile matching in the shower and on top of the vanity, we kept the tile. We ended up painting the cabinets white and putting wood-look vinyl on the floor. We added a pony wall to hide the toilet. I love the pony wall. The side facing the toilet has shelves for TP etc. There are 2 shower heads. One at the end when you make your left turn, and the other behind the TP holder wall.

• david k
    8 years ago

Yeah, we are trying to figure out how to configure the shower so it won't splash water outside of the shower area. We won't have cabinets anywhere near the open end of the shower, the only fixture anywhere near would be the toilet, which of course we would prefer not to get wet either. Thanks for your info though

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    8 years ago

White Marble Curbless Shower - Vancouver West Side · More Info

This is a shower with no door. Part of a full wet room with heated bench and floors.

White Marble Curbless Shower - Vancouver West Side · More Info

Barrier free Shower. 4' entry.

Tubs in Showers - Vancouver Wet Room Designs · More Info

Best work practices for a bathroom renovation · More Info

No door. Wet Room with vintage tub and glass block wall.

Red Shower Lighting · More Info

Barrier Free Shower - no door

Best work practices for a bathroom renovation · More Info

Wet Room with glass blocks

Bathroom · More Info

Modern Bathroom · More Info

Traditional Bathroom · More Info

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    8 years ago

Three of a kind · More Info

That's it for doorless shower builds from me. The key step is the flood test and treating the room as a wet room. The photo below shows a barrier free shower under flood test.

ACO Linear Shower Drains · More Info

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville