Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Accent Tile

Posted by garden_co5 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 11 at 11:10

We're about to start a minor bathroom redo (I know famous last words). My son's room desperately needs a new vanity (grouted tiles for a counter top + messy children = disaster) He has the standard tub/shower combo with white square tile - functional if not exciting. The issue is the accent strip - it's ugly. What are the chances of successfully popping off the accent tile to replace without destroying the shower? I should add the house is about 15 years old and I suspect greenboard is behind the tile. We have zero leak/mold problems.

Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Accent Tile

if you don't want to risk it, how about painting over it? You could do it an accent color and not worry about matching the current tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: painting ceramic tile

o

Thank you for the link - it mentions painting not being a good choice for a shower. This is definitely in the wet zone. Has anyone successfully painted ceramic tile in the shower? I'm a bit skeptical that it would be durable.

o

sorry, I didn't read it...but keep searching google for other sites about it. I would think if you sanded the tile/prepped carefully and maybe even put a couple of coats of clear sealer on over your paint choice that it could work. I'd think it was worth a try - if you need to figure out how to rip it out later - (if it doesn't hold up) then you aren't out much.

Here's another idea...don't know if you just have a border to cover, but I'd also think about trying something like this. Again, not much work, not much expense and the decals say they are steam and moisture resistant.

Here is a link that might be useful: decals for shower

o

Especially if there's greenboard behind the tile-- even if it's in good shape, you're taking a huge risk chopping out tile that's been there that long. If it were cement board, I might chance it, depending on the accent tiles, the condition of the shower, etc.. But in your case, I'd be real leary of taking anything off the walls, unless you're prepared to tear everything down to studs and redo it.

o

How about this? It seems like the small kit could cover the accent, and worth a try. it even says you can do sinks and shower pans. The color chips look weird to me beige looks peach and steel is baby blue. I wonder if it is my monitor or if the colors are true.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile paint

o

Thanks for the responses- I think we'll buy a shower curtain and call it a day. The tile is a bit feminine but the solutions seem risky and I have no interest in replacing the shower.

o

How about using these tile "tattoos"? Some even let you upload your own design.

Here is a link that might be useful: tile decals

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here