Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ambergma

How much do frameless glass shower doors cost?

ambergma
14 years ago

I'm thinking custom, not Home Depot.

Doesn't have to be the thickest glass out there...

Can you tell me what you've paid?

Thanks much!

Comments (90)

• enduring
    10 years ago

It looks like a steam shower setup, I think. Regular showers aren't enclosed like that.

• jacqueline5
    10 years ago

Asharding, please post everything you learn! That is without a doubt the most gorgeous framed shower I've ever seen! If I can make mine look like that, I'll ditch my frameless shower plans in a hot second!

I'm in Chico, CA. I can not get a glass company to give me a quote until after the shower is built. I tried calling around asking about 'standard' sizes so I could custom build the shower appropriately (the last thing I want to hear is, 'if your shower was 2 inches smaller/larger...) but no one was willing to give me a number. No. One. Tile guy confirmed that's how it is done here. Sigh.

• asharding Harding
    10 years ago

Hi Jacqueline5,

The previous photo is our inspiration photo. Glad you like it too. Here's a photo of our vanity as of right now, based upon our inspiration photo. Our cabinet maker was right on the mark. I photoshop'ed our sconces in the picture, they arrive on Wednesday.

The granite people are here today installing the tub deck. They are also measuring for the 14 pieces that will make up the top, bottom and sides of each vanity plus the tops.

We loved frameless showers until we came across our inspiration photo. If it turns out to be too expensive, we'll go frameless. Hope we don't have too, we'll keep posting as we find out more.

The shower is going in on the right side of the above photo where you can see the wood.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

asharding, just venturing an educated guess I would put your inspiration shower at approximately $15,000 - $20,000 and I may be low.

• asharding Harding
    10 years ago

Yikes! Just for the shower glass and frame?

This post was edited by asharding on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 13:18

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Yeah, that is definitely a completely custom unit.

• threeapples
    10 years ago

Asharding, I am hoping to achieve that in my guest bathroom and master shower. If I get close I will post on here to help you, and others, figure out how to get that look.

• asharding Harding
    10 years ago

I emailed CR Lawrence with the photo and they emailed back that they only do frameless showers. I sent back an email stating that they make all kinds of Brushed Nickel items besides frameless shower parts and that I was hoping something would work. I'm waiting to hear back.

• kaysd
    10 years ago

We have a steam shower with total glass 92" high x 59" wide. In Southern California, we paid a local glass company about $1800 installed for 3/8" thick, low-iron (truly clear) glass with 2 fixed side panels, a door with seal and an operating transom above the door. Hinges and handle are chrome from CR Laurence.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

CRL will not manufacture a custom framed unit, yes they have a million parts but.. You would need to visit a dealer for a Century, Cardinal maybe Vigo (these are manufacturers I am familiar with I am sure there are others).

• nastena
    10 years ago

Did anybody had experience ordering from online retailers like Gasparilla Glass? The price they estimated for us is way cheaper ($950) that local shop ($1,780).

• InfoDiva1
    9 years ago

I found a source for that polished nickel, fully-framed shower that everyone is so excited about. No cost, though. Maybe you could call these folks and inquire?

Here is a link that might be useful: [Polished nickel framed shower door[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/new-york-shower-door-traditional-bathroom-new-york-phvw-vp~346725)

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

Our glass shower enclosure (two fixed panels and one door) was $2800. We purchased Starphire glass (ultra clear/low iron content glass) with the ShowerGuard protectant. You can see a photo of it on this board (called "Presenting: Master Bath Remodel Reveal") that I posted yesterday.

• gildee
    9 years ago

The glass for our smallish neo-angle shower was a lot - $4,200. One other quote was very similar, but that installer insisted we had to have a bar across the top of door, which I did not want. He also made our contractor cut a notch in the quartz tub deck! The installer we did use said that attaching three of the walls to the ceiling would be fine. Love that the door swings in and out.

We opted for Starfire and Diamond Fusion Sealant coating. After 4 months of squeeging, I'm not sure I see a difference with the coating. Anyway, new shower is so much nicer than the builder's grade we've had for 20 years.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Our glass is extra tall so I decided to go with the small rail of chrome for stability around the top of the three large glass panels. Now I don't even see it. But in the end with a two direction swinging door and otherwise no hardware at all except for the handle was right around $3000. I thought I would faint at the price but it is what it is if you want it, you will pay. Going with the rail at the top let me eliminate any other bracing so it's basically very free of hardware except for the handle and the top rail and the hinge for the door.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Gr8day, I actually like the look of a frame. It seems to give the glass substance. I think it gives me a subconscious confidence in the glass. Anyway that is what I have noticed as I have been looking for my up coming shower door needs.

I believe at this time I will be going with a french door setup so that the entire front can be opened, for showering assistance if needed. I have 2 quotes, company A and company B. The company I will go with is A, and was recommended by several tile and bath companies, they had the lower price too. They provided me with 2 quotes, one with Starfire glass and one with regular glass, both at 3/8". Cost for the Starfire glass is $2428 for 3/8" glass, 2 french doors, total span of of 58" (60" shower pan before walls and tile), chrome "D" handles and hinges. If I do regular shower glass 3/8" with the above hardware it will be $1754. So about $700 difference between the Starfire glass and regular glass. I don't know if it is worth it or not. Company B quotes were around 600 or so $ more than Co. A.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

Have your installer bring a big piece of regular glass and Starfire glass so you can see the difference. There is definitely a greenish hue to the regular glass that changes the color of your tile when you look through it. That works okay for some color schemes and not for others. My installer insisted there wasn't enough difference to warrant the add'l cost for Starphire....until I had him bring a large sample of each to my house. Then, he saw what I was talking about and agreed that the Starphire would look better in our bathroom.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Great idea Jewel654! That is what I will do, once I get this darned shower finished ;) I haven't had anyone come out. The quotes were made by my description and the shower is very straight forward.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

Sounds like a plan! For reference, here's our Starphire shower enclosure.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Tile reads very nicely behind the Starfire glass. Very pretty bathroom. Wonderful warm tones.

I remember when KevinMP put his bathroom together several years ago and how the regular glass and the Starfire made a world of difference with his marble.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

At the time my aversion to the frame was from having lived with the brass framed in glass for 15 years and the cleaning and collecting of soap scum at the base and the rubber seal. I just hated the look of it. It's so much easier to clean the unframed glass. I do like that picture of the framed in shower above but I would not like to clean around it. We may have different issues with water that make it such a pita. I think I must have the Starfire glass or some such similar because it does not change the look of the stone in the shower at all. That was a big deal to me as well and it was discussed at the time and I do seem to remember I had a choice of materials. I like the unobstructed barely there look of unframed glass because in our case, the shower is not a focal point in the room and it just serves it's purpose of enclosing the shower. I remember seeing that framed in shower photo and drooling over it when we were doing our bathroom. It's so pretty and sort of reminds me of a London vintage telephone booth. I look forward to seeing your finished bath, the French door concept sounds lovely.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

In our last house, we had both Starfire and that "sealer" (I don't remember the brand, but it was in the glass, not something we applied after). Both were great - Starfire for the last of "green" and the sealer for how the water sheeted off the glass. We were/are NOT the type to squeegee after every shower, so it got really cleaned once a week, and always looked great.

• bjchane
    8 years ago

What is the approx cost of the starphire enclosure?

• enduring
    8 years ago

Which inclosure? If you look at my post above I list prices. See post April27, 2014 at 4:10PM

• tsth5236
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here's mine, was $900 total incl. install:

Not sure of glass thickness, but it's substantial and nice. 74" tall.

• nesting67
    8 years ago

Does anyone have any recommendations for suppliers in Chicago area? I received a quote of $2000 for a door and panel total of 50" wide by 72" high, 3/8 thickness. Looking for a better price.

• houlihan87
    8 years ago

we got a quote for a 38" neo-angle door (3 panels) for $1800.00

• millworkman
    8 years ago

What does that price consist of houlihan87?

• janv123
    8 years ago

I just got a quote of $2,030.00 installed for 3/8" clear tempered glass. The size is 30 x75 swinging door and a 30 x 75 fixed panel. It also has a 48 x 32 return (half wall). Adding for shower guard is $775.00. So the total will be $2,805.00. The installer said it would have a 1" frame at the top even though I asked for frameless. I am near Florence, SC and we don't have very many choices for glass companies. Should I get more quotes? I'm going to try one more company but that is about all of my options. This just seems very high to me because after looking on Houzz, I was thinking maybe around $1500.00 at the most, not almost $3,000.00.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

$48 a sq ft seems pretty good to me, even plus the Showerguard. And many shops use a header especially on a door with a return wall.

• janv123
    8 years ago

Millworkman, So is this still considered a frameless shower? My estimate also has 3/8" clear tempered glass. I just hate that I know nothing about glass shower enclosures.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Semiframeless because it has a metal header and a nothing on the door.

• janv123
    8 years ago

Thanks!!

• enduring
    8 years ago

This forum is not for advertising or self promotion.

• janv123
    8 years ago

I just needed advice on the estimate that was given to me because of not having enough glass installers in our area to compare prices. Also wanted to know if Showerguard is worth the extra 33% added charge.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

They call that SPAM enduring and janv123 as I mentioned previously that price sounds ok to me and the Showerguard number sounds decent to me as well.

• enduring
    8 years ago

Yeah, I call that SPAM too. The part of the sentence that states "...good deals" was the clincher.

Janv123, I squeegee my doors after every shower so I don't think showerguard would make a difference for me. I don't have showerguard, instead some coated on product. I don't recall the name, but it eventually comes off I believe.

• janv123
    8 years ago

I have decided to bite the bullet and go with the showerguard. Thanks for the inputs millworkman and enduring.

• enduring
    8 years ago

You're welcome : )

• millworkman
    8 years ago

I think you made a good choice, and you are welcome.

• dippster
    8 years ago

We are getting ready to remodel our bathroom. We plan on removing the tub and just have a 5' shower. We will do all the work ourselves except for the shower door. How much should I expect to pay for a frameless door and panel. Approx 5' wide and 7' tall? We live in Charlotte NC

• PRO
    Glass Doctor Heart Of Texas
    8 years ago

There are a lot of options in hardware and glass. Expect 1700-2500. Depending on options and how square the opening is.

• Srikantha Raj
    7 years ago

Can I use without tampered 8mm glass for frameless glass showers cubicles?

• millworkman
    7 years ago

Glass must be tempered glass for safety reasons, 8 mm is fine.

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

standard shower glass is 3/8 tempered, the industry norm. Our current 3x5 steam shower frameless glass will be installed in few weeks @$2800, with showerguard and requires 4 pieces, an angle cut, 2 hinges,6 clips, 2 swivels..handles .. as an $ example ..

• enduring
    7 years ago

Srikantha, as Millworks says, tempered glass. I believe code is for tempered glass even on windows when situated at the tub. Too dangerous for regular glass. Severing an artery or tendon would be disastrous.

• gr8daygw
    7 years ago

Ours was 3K, included all parts, glass, labor. The shower is a modified square shape a square with a slice off of one of the corners. Of course, that's where the door is. He really struggled with getting it all to line up. Mostly because the standard door wasn't the same size as the opening for it and there is an additional trim piece of glass beside the door. Looks great in the end, fainted at the price. Good to see that others are familiar with these kind of numbers. He did everything, measure, fabricate, deliver, install. They were very tall pieces of 3/8" tempered glass. It was no picnic for him!

• Denis Gregory
    5 years ago

I install these for living ...cost depends who you go with ....some smaller glass shops can give you better deals.

• Denis Gregory
    5 years ago
    as far as shower guard goes try company called hydroshield. They Can coat glass and stone
  • Gord Rinas
    5 years ago

be cautious about ordering stock items online.. they may be from China and not meet our tempering codes and crappy hardware that will not last . I rarely find a true square opening that will fit a packaged item