Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thoughts - Wood tile in bath & real wood floors in adjoining area

Posted by firsthome (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 10:59

We are in the planning stages of our hall bathroom. We are planning on calacatta gold marble on the walls and are leaning on wood tile for the floors. See our inspiration pictures later in the post.

My question is.... will wood tile floors in the hall bathroom look odd if we have real wood floors in our hallway. There is a door between them and I was thinking of putting a marble threshold to transition the change in flooring. The wood tile floors would be 6" wide planks and the hall flooring is 2" original oak planks. (although we are debating whether to refinish the oak floors or replace..so the size could change). The hall floors run a different direction than the hall tile would.

Also regarding color...I don't know if we should try and match the hall wood floors or go completely different. It is hard to even predict as we won't be refinishing or replacing the home's floors till another year...one project at a time :-)

I love to know everyone's thoughts.

The following are our inspiration pictures. These I believe are real wood floors, but since our hall bathroom has a tub/shower we think tile will work best.

photo Woodlookfloors01.jpg

Wood floor inspiration 02 photo Woodlookfloors02.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thoughts - Wood tile in bath & real wood floors in adjoining

We used wood look porcelain tile in our guest house which has an open staircase to a basement. The staircase treads and landing are oak and were stained to match the tile. Very seamless transition from one material to another and I don't think most people notice they are different.

My recommendation is that you either go totally different on the color or stain the wood to match the tile.

o
RE: Thoughts - Wood tile in bath & real wood floors in adjoining

You've many options and I think they'd all look nice - it's more on what you prefer. You could try to match the two surfaces. You could use a threshold that matches the hall floor, you could use a threshold that matches the bathroom floor or you could use a marble threshold (same marble as in the bath). For these last three, you could try it out with cardboard thresholds and paint, just to get an idea, with the door open and closed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here