Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recessed Medicine Cabinet - framed or frameless

Posted by SadieV (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 7, 12 at 10:59

We have a small bathroom that we will be renovating in traditional/transitional casual style. Vanity and wood trim will be a medium stained birch. As its a small room, (and the bath my husband uses) I need to optimize my storage options. I would like to use a Robern recessed medicine chest and would prefer a framed version, but I can't justify the prices, and the framed ones don't come in the large size I'm looking for (20"w x 36"l). The frameless - with either a flat or beveled mirror are more in our price range.

On the same wall as the vanity and medicine chest, I'm planning a recessed open cabinet made and framed in the stained birch. It will hold stacks of towels and some of the lined wicker type baskets for storage. The shower will be tiled.

Is the frameless medicine chest too contemporary looking for the wood trim and cabinet? Would you suggest beveled mirror or flat? I have found other companies making framed medicine chests but wasn't happy with the quality. The Robern seems to be constructed very well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recessed Medicine Cabinet - framed or frameless

We have three frameless, recessed Robern med cabs, and are very happy with all three. We have 3 1/2-4" deep models in the guest bathroom and hall bathroom, and a 6" deep model in the MB. Our bathrooms are small as well (MB is the smallest, go figure!), so storage space was a concern for us as well. I love my 6" med cab--can fit a lot in there!

Ours all have flat mirrors, because that was our preference. I think you would be fine with whichever one you choose--I don't think there is a hard and fast rule which type of mirror you can use with a traditional or contemporary or ultra modern bathroom. I've seen bathrooms of all types using a wide range of med cab styles and none ever looked out-of-place to me.

o

Cat_mom -- thanks for your recommendaton. Is the 6" cabinet recessed into the wall, and then protrudes forward a couple of inches? Would you happen to have a picture? The idea of the extra storage is tempting, I'm just curious how the finished installation looks.

o

Our framed mirror cabinet measures 24 x 30 and is 4" deep. We found it on close-out at a local bath shop (Broan I believe)but I've seen similar at Home Depot for around $200. We wanted the look of a mirror hanging on the wall and this gave us the result we were seeking.

This bath is fairly small too, about 6 x 8, and we opted for a train rack to hold extra towels. Good luck with the remodel.

Vanity Area

o

Can you get some trim to match your cabinets and frame the recessed cabinet with the trim? We have Robern frameless recessed cabinets, but put some insulation behind the cabinets so that they protruded from the wall. Then we added trim to cover the protrusion.

o

The 6" deep med cab is as recessed as the other two (in other words, it doesn't protrude forward any more than the others). Behind part of our MB is the master bedroom closet, so the extra inches of med cab stick out into the closet. I will try to get a pic for you later or tomorrow. If I forget--email a reminder through GW!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here