Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brianadarnell_gw

grout color for white subway tiles

brianadarnell
13 years ago

Hi All,

I am doing white subway tiles in a bathroom with a faux marble floor. The designer at the tile place recommended white grout for both the shower (white subway tiles) and floor (faux marble 12x12 with very thin grout lines). What about gray grout? I've seen this done and like the look. What do you think? I'm envisioning major upkeep with the white grout.

Comments (16)

• chrisk327
    13 years ago

I haven't done it yet, but my plan is a light gray grout. I googled a lot and searched forums and some people were noting that they used white and it was getting stained. not sure how true or isolated it is. but we're doing the light gray to hopefully fix this.

• brianadarnell
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the responses. You both echoed my thoughts on the silver/gray tones. And, pacific flights- your shower is gorgeous!

• anrol
    13 years ago

Here is our gray........

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago

We had white 4x4 ceramic tiles with white grout before in our bath. HATED them! You could never keep the grout clean! I vote for grey also.

• porkandham
    13 years ago

I thought I wanted a silver/gray grout, but at the very last minute, I changed my mind and went with white. I'm happy with my decision.

• renov8r
    13 years ago

We went with traditional white grout and it has not been a problem to keep it clean. It has been sealed and we wipe it down after our showers. It looks great in our black and white bathroom.

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

another vote for white

• catbuilder
    13 years ago

If you use a quality grout, upkeep shouldn't be a problem. I had white grout on the walls as well as the floor in my last house, and never had a problem with it. I am not in any way a fastidious housekeeper, and we didn't even wipe down the walls after use. After 15 years the grout was still white.

• Billl
    13 years ago

Testimonials aside, there is no doubt that white shows dirt/grime/whatever more than gray.

Beyond that, it is just a personal preference of what you want it to look like. Gray grout is a much more traditional choice than white. If you are going for a vintage look, that would be my choice. On the flip side, if you are going to more a more "clean line" modern style, then I'd go with white.

• billp1
    13 years ago

You can get color samples from your tile dealer, contractor or go to the large box stores. They have a smaller selection.
    Your tile installer can color your grout based on the samples you see.

• carrie_eileen
    13 years ago

Also - consider your water. We did a renovation about three years ago in our recently purchased house, with white subways and white grout, and didn't realize our water has some rust in it. After putting in a water filtration system, we still have yellow-y grout where the water hits. It drives me insane.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

We used white grout with white tiles in all our bathrooms, since we prefer the look of the grout blending in with the tile. Would do it this way again, but I do think the grey grout looks very nice in the bathrooms posted above.

• mg70
    13 years ago

we did white with the subway tiles in the shower. The white and white just makes it look so clean. It's been 1 year and we have not had trouble keeping it clean. We did grey with the carrera marble on the floor. That looks great too. see my pics

• itltrot
    13 years ago

I'm glad Brian asked this. I hadn't even thought about grout color yet. Love seeing all these examples.

• PRO
    L. Debes Interiors
    5 years ago

Does anyone know of a color closest to Mapai #103 Cobblestone? Maybe in a Custom Build or Polyblend?? I can't even find Cobblestone...UGGGHH! I am buying in a rural area where my choices are Custom or Polyblend.