Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grout color for white subway tiles

Posted by brianadarnell (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 11 at 10:59

Hi All,

I am doing white subway tiles in a bathroom with a faux marble floor. The designer at the tile place recommended white grout for both the shower (white subway tiles) and floor (faux marble 12x12 with very thin grout lines). What about gray grout? I've seen this done and like the look. What do you think? I'm envisioning major upkeep with the white grout.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grout color for white subway tiles

I haven't done it yet, but my plan is a light gray grout. I googled a lot and searched forums and some people were noting that they used white and it was getting stained. not sure how true or isolated it is. but we're doing the light gray to hopefully fix this.

o

Hi Brian,

I just finished my subway tile shower/tub combo. In the beginning I just kind of assumed I would use white grout, especially since I was a first time tiler. I figured I would need all the help I could get in disguising any mistakes. Once the tile was set, I realized that I liked seeing the pattern, and didn't want to mask it with the white grout. So I returned the grout I had already purchased and order Laticrete Silver Shadow from Lowe's. I'm very happy I went with the silver.
Photobucket

o

Thank you for the responses. You both echoed my thoughts on the silver/gray tones. And, pacific flights- your shower is gorgeous!

o

Here is our gray........Photobucket........

o

We had white 4x4 ceramic tiles with white grout before in our bath. HATED them! You could never keep the grout clean! I vote for grey also.

o

I thought I wanted a silver/gray grout, but at the very last minute, I changed my mind and went with white. I'm happy with my decision.

o

We went with traditional white grout and it has not been a problem to keep it clean. It has been sealed and we wipe it down after our showers. It looks great in our black and white bathroom.

o

another vote for white

o

If you use a quality grout, upkeep shouldn't be a problem. I had white grout on the walls as well as the floor in my last house, and never had a problem with it. I am not in any way a fastidious housekeeper, and we didn't even wipe down the walls after use. After 15 years the grout was still white.

o

Testimonials aside, there is no doubt that white shows dirt/grime/whatever more than gray.

Beyond that, it is just a personal preference of what you want it to look like. Gray grout is a much more traditional choice than white. If you are going for a vintage look, that would be my choice. On the flip side, if you are going to more a more "clean line" modern style, then I'd go with white.

o

You can get color samples from your tile dealer, contractor or go to the large box stores. They have a smaller selection.
Your tile installer can color your grout based on the samples you see.

o

Also - consider your water. We did a renovation about three years ago in our recently purchased house, with white subways and white grout, and didn't realize our water has some rust in it. After putting in a water filtration system, we still have yellow-y grout where the water hits. It drives me insane.

o

We used white grout with white tiles in all our bathrooms, since we prefer the look of the grout blending in with the tile. Would do it this way again, but I do think the grey grout looks very nice in the bathrooms posted above.

o

we did white with the subway tiles in the shower. The white and white just makes it look so clean. It's been 1 year and we have not had trouble keeping it clean. We did grey with the carrera marble on the floor. That looks great too. see my pics

shower/tub

floor

o

I'm glad Brian asked this. I hadn't even thought about grout color yet. Love seeing all these examples.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here