Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louloulilac

mix or have same tile for bathroom flooring and shower

L A
10 years ago

I am wondering if I should buy the same tile for the flooring and shower. I have a 36x60" shower stall with glass doors. And a double vanity in espresso with a mixed grey/beige/light brown/charcoal mix granite countertop. I was thinking about going with a grey tile with a small lighter grey stripey longer tile for a border at eye level. The base is white acrylic. The flooring company said to go with all the same tile. But Im unsure. The grey is more of a brown grey that is not light but not really dark in color. What do you think? The tiles are 12x24. Im wondering to will I go vertical or horizontal...hmmmm

This post was edited by newfielou on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 12:56

Comments (4)

• jewelisfabulous
    10 years ago

I've seen tiled showers done both ways -- using the floor tile and using a completely different, but complimentary tile. Maybe check out photos of tiled showers on www.houzz.com and see what appeals most to you.

• jrueter
    10 years ago

If you have a smaller space, especially with a larger format tile, I think it would look better to use the same tile. In a larger space I think you could do either. Personally I like switching things up, but I also gravitate to a more "unfitted" style, whereas with your choices it is leaning more contemporary (in my mind's eye at least) where the consistant tile will work well.

• crl_
    10 years ago

Another possibility would be to have the floor tile cut smaller for the shower area. More grout lines would make that area less slippery too.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Look on Houzz dot com for inspiration pictures on the different tile schemes. You will find many. It will help you with your decision making. You make this your bathroom not someone else's.

I have a 8x9 bathroom and I did my shower pan in a gray cast iron that matches the gray in my very patterned dark tiled floor, and the gray in the porcelain marble shower wall tile. Very different tiles. It was love at first sight and others didn't see the beauty I saw in the combo. Then they came around. I checked out many other possibilities before settling on this combo. I kept coming back to it. I even have a heavily patterned walnut wood vanity and cabinets. The doors are patterned as well. Realizing that I was using several strong textures I kept every thing else at a minimum, that includes the towels, counter deco, wall deco, etc. It seems to work in my eyes and I can't wait to GET DONE with it. I am a slow DIY'er.