Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maximum tile size for shower floor

Posted by jaidog (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 12 at 10:37

My shower floor is 4' x 5' with a Kerdi drain in the center. The floor is sloped 1/4" per foot from the drain to the furthest point.

I'm thinking about using slate on this shower floor and I have received conflicting advice regarding the tile size. Some have advised not to go larger than 4" x 4", while I have also heard that I can go as large as 12" x 12".

From what I've read, the smaller size is recommended for two reasons. One, it will allow for more grout which will provide traction. But, slate has texture so perhaps extra grout for traction is not needed? Second, smaller tiles will make it easier to tile the sloped floor. But, with a 4' x 5' floor, could I make larger tiles work?

If I try to use larger tiles, is there a recommended layout which will allow this to work? And, is using slate on the shower floor going to result in maintenance problems down the road (eg water sitting in the crevices, etc)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maximum tile size for shower floor

You have both issues well in hand.

It's a matter of traction; the slicker the tile, the smaller you want that tile to be so the grout lines will afford traction, and

It's a matter of conforming to the shape of the slope; smaller tile can conform to "twists and turns" of any changes in slope without creating lippage between adjacent tiles.

I've done shower floors in mosaic, I've done conventionally sloped shower floors using just four slabs of material, one for each quadrant.

With small tiles you can create a patternless sloped "bowl" of sorts on the shower floor, the breaks in slope are pretty much indistinguishable within the tiled floor. The floor I did with one slab for each quadrant? There were four very distinguishable cut lines in the floor running from each floor corner to the drain.

So there are pluses and minuses, but as silly as it sounds, it depends on what you consider to be pluses and what you consider to be minuses.

Much also depends on how your existing slope is shaped. Does your floor have defined breaks in the slope from corner to drain? Can a 4" tile, a 6" tile, a 12" tile that is simply dry set over that change in plane, will the tile sit "okay" or does it rock excessively since you have a flat tile sitting over a non-flat surface? Any excessive rocking will result in lippage, the inability of the edges of the rocking tile to properly mate up with the edges of the neighboring tiles.

So "how big can you go?" You can go as big as you can go until you can't go any bigger. When the tiles rock, you're too big.

If your mud slope has well-defined breaks in the changes of plane that run from corner-to-drain, then you can go as large as you choose if you incorporate cut lines in the tiled floor at those four corner-to-drain break lines.

Do be careful with "slate" on a shower floor. You really need a tight grained stone, or the floor could turn into a putrid mess over time. A high quality true slate can perform well on a shower floor. Unfortunately much of what is sold today, especially in the form of natural cleft slate, is far from high quality.

Honed slate will generally be a better quality slate, the stone has to be good quality to survive the honing process.

There are some very good faux-porcelain slates being manufactured today. They might be worth checking out if the cleft look is what you really want. You may give up a little on looks and naturalness, but you'll potentially gain a lot in terms of durability and maintenance.

o

mongoct:

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I will lay the large slate tiles in the shower and check for rocking.

As far as using slate in the first place -- we have had this slate tile sitting in our basement for a few years with no opportunity to use it. We are now trying to incorporate some of it into our master bath shower, with hopes of using the rest in other portions of the bathroom in the future. I almost feel obligated to use it since it is essentially "free" and has a nice color/texture. But, I don't want to use it in the wrong spot (eg shower floor) if it will cause problems down the road.

o

cut the tiles you have if they are too large

o

Thank you for your very detailed explanation, mongo, especially the part about checking for "rocking". When I (eventually) get to redo my master bathroom, I was wondering how I would know the right size of tile. This was very helpful.

o

As a general rule, 6x6 tiles are about as large as you can do in a conventionally sloped shower. Even then, you may get some issues. It will cost more to have a pro do the quadrant slope that Mongo mentions, (it's a bit trickier to accomplish) but it is a great look for a modern bath. Another choice would be to slope the entire floor in one direction only and use a trench drain. You could use one single slab of (flamed or honed) stone for that, but it would be a headache logistically.

o

GreenDesigns:

The shower pan has already been poured. I've laid some tiles down on the pan and there is significant rocking, so I am going to go for the 'traditional' 4x4 or smaller tiles.

Regarding the trench drain, I wanted to use a trench drain and build a curbless shower, but backed off due to the cost of the trench drain and floor height issues. Just read a post by Bill Vincent stating that Laticrete has a less expensive trench drain in the works, and realized that my floor is naturally pitched allowing for a trench drain without any structural modifications. If I hadn't already poured the pan, I would go down this route. But, now it's too late.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here