Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marble Etching Culprits

Posted by onerae (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 10:23

Does hairspray cause marble to etch? Can ya'll tell me some other common culprits? Thanks a million...

Rae

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marble Etching Culprits

Acne treatments containing salicylic acid.

o

Anything that is an acid.

Even very mild acids.

o

Liquid bath soap and shampoo. I bought acrylic dispensers for all of my bath soaps and shampoos, and, the acryclic dispensers leaked on the bottom and etchd the marble. It's not super noticable on crema marfil, but the etching is definitely there.

o

I didn't know soap would be a problem.

o

If you get marble, be prepared for etching. Even with precautions it will happen.

Toothpaste is something that hasn't been mentioned yet. Soap and shaving cream, hair styling creams and hairspray, nail polish remover, liquid medicine, coffee. I'm sure there's more. Basically anything we use in the bathroom that's not completely pH balanced or plain water can etch.

o

Saline eye contact solution...soap - for sure!

o

yvette123, was it actual pure saline solution? Or like a multi-purpose contact solution? Thanks.

o

"shaving cream"

The 'gel' types use a bunch of stuff, but classic shaving cream in a can is mostly stearic acid.

o

Pricklypear, I ruined my marble vanity with multi-purpose contact lens solution.

o

For those who are thinking of a marble floor, urine will etch it too. My 3 year old son has proved this. He hasn't written his name yet, but the polished finish is gone around the base of the toilet.

o

Thanks for the feedback, suellen. Sorry to hear about your marble.

I have used a few different pH neutral liquid hand soaps in my guest bathroom and haven't had any etching (*knock on wood*). No other products have been used on the marble yet, so I've been lucky so far.

o

Multi-purpose - for eye contacts.

o

Thanks for responding, yvette.

o

Does anyone that has marble say I have issues but I love love it.....I am about to embark on a huge investment with marble, I love the look, I am hoping that I won't be too obsessive with it. It has been in all these places for hundreds of years, churches, train stations, etc....Do you think that it is all about honing and then maintenance with every yearor so to help with problems. Perhaps the answer is a urinal in the garage for the boys....

o

After reading babbs711 and others lists of things that etch marble, I am shocked! All these products are things that you would normally have in a bathroom - and yes, I have a cup of coffee in the bathroom while I am preparing for work. Why does one use marble if soap, water, shaving cream, hairspray and other cosmetics, medicine, etc are going to be harmful to your counter or floor?

I really am not being judgemental - just shocked.

o

Tuesday, it's because etched marble has a beauty if its own. My MB vanity top is etched, but I I still love it. I don't see it as "damage", I see it as the nature of marble itself. If you look closely at older marble on floors, counters, etc, in commercial spaces, it's all etched, but it's still beautiful.

I'm putting engineered quartz counters in the current bath I'm remodeling, but it's because I'm trying to achieve a more modern look, not because I regret the marble in the other bath.

o

Our new Calacatta Gold vanity has already been etched by:

toothpaste (fine spray pattern from DH's super-spitting)
mouthwash (same fine spray pattern as above)
hair dye (also left a stain DUH but I wiped it up IMMEDIATELY,and counter was sealed with Miracle 511.)

BOO HOO! I knew this would happen, though, and decided I was okay with it. If I had the Calacatta counters in the kitchen, I would go bezerk guarding them from harm.

o

Marble is a really amazingly beautiful material. We choose to accept or even embrace the nature of marble and the etching that comes with it. Personally I try to be careful to avoid the etching, but I won't be terribly upset if it does.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here