Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scotty0613

Add A Towel Bar To New Shower Wall?

scotty0613
10 years ago

I noticed in recent remodeled bathrooms, that they don�t have a towel bar in them. Why?
Is it okay to add a towel bar by Pegasus Estates Heritage bronze towel bar on the tile? If not, what would you recommend for me to use? It would be used daily.

Thanks,
Scotty

Comments (8)

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

We installed towel bars in (on) the tub surrounds in our MB and in our hall bathroom. DH drilled into the tile, and then used wall anchors (I'm assuming) along with the backing plate and screws supplied with the towel bars. I don't know if the finish makes any difference, but ours are satin nickel.

Our bathrooms are very small, so there really wasn't anyplace else to hang our bath towels (I don't like having them "out" for others to use for hand drying, in our own home, or while visiting others' homes).

The towels/bar is on the wall opposite the shower head (tub length is 60"). Towels are completely dry for showering again the next day. We also have a microfiber cloth hanging on the towel bar, for wiping down the tile and tub edge after showering (couldn't find a squeegee I liked, and the cloth actually does a better job at the base of the tile).

Hall Bathroom:

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

Why? Because there is no need for towel bars any more. What would you use it for? You wouldn't hang clean towels on a towel bar. Clean towels have to be rolled up into sausages and placed in decorative baskets on shelves and under the vanity.

And you certainly wouldn't hang a wet towel on a towel bar. For what? To dry out and reuse? How gauche. Wet towels must be instantly transported to a hidden hamper awaiting laundry day. When you need a towel, always take one of those rolled up sausage things. Just like hotels. Oh, wait! Now hotels are asking guests to not take new towels every day in order to be "green". Well, at least the hotels I stay at. Obviously not the St. Regis.

Sorry, I'm in a snarky mood today. (Says the man who let's his bath towel air dry on his towel bar and changes it once a week.)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I don't know very many people who have towel bars IN their showers, but everyone I know has bars or hooks somewhere else in the bathroom. We have a thru-the-glass hook installed on the outside of our frameless shower. I believe there are thru-the-glass bars too. Keep in mind that the holes need to be drilled BEFORE the glass is tempered.

A towel bar inside the shower needs to be anchored very well if it is located in a spot where someone might use it as a grab bar.

-Babka

• enduring
    10 years ago

In my first remodel I had to mount something at the back of the tub (no shower), because there was no place for a bar in the other parts of the room. I mounted a grab bar instead. Because as Babka suggests, I was afraid I (or someone else) might grab for the bar in a fall and pull it right off the wall. My grab bar is a little closer to the wall than a towel bar so the towel needs to be almost threaded through. A little bit more cumbersome but I don't really mind. In my current remodel, another problem with location, so I planned to have a couple of hooks near the shower entrance and a towel tree near the vanity.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

I, too, am planning a towel bar/grab bar in the tub surround. I live in FL near the beach and wet bathing suits have to go somewhere. (Don't say over the shower rod--if you get a curved rod that means they drip on the floor.)

While I'll probably do what enduring did, there are also combination towel/grab bars like this one from moen:

• Mabies
    10 years ago

Thanks! very timely information for me!

• hvhay
    10 years ago

We have a small bathroom too and while I do have room for one towel bar elsewhere in the bathroom, I asked for another one in the shower over the tub so we can hang up our bathmat there. The architect and contractor both gave me some funny looks but I still think it's a great idea for a small space. I too have concerns about someone grabbing it so we are making sure it is well anchored.

• scotty0613
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I'll just put the towel bar behind the bathroom door.