Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Limestone in the bathroom?

Posted by Burnsie2 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 10:10

I was at the fabricator's yesterday finalizing the counters for my kitchen, and I saw this gorgeous singular slab of Euro Beige Limestone. It was so light--almost white--and I was in love. Color wise, it's perfect for our master bath however I'm nervous about how it will hold up. I'd be using it for the counters and the tub deck which also becomes a bench for the shower. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Limestone in the bathroom?

Slab means none, or less, grout lines. Much easier to keep clean.
With a good sealer, it should be fine.

o

Thanks so much Dando!

o

Limestone is so beautiful! Keep in mind that limestone is a calcite based stone, so it may etch. Be careful with cleaners and products used on and around it. I brought home some samples of limestone flooring and noticed it was fairly soft and easy to scratch. I'm not certain if all limestones are like that or just the one I tried. You might want to bring home a sample to try with products you use.

o

My first choice of tile was seagrass limestone but our GC warned against it, his main reason being that he knew we were going to be bathing the dogs in our shower and he said that their nails could scratch the limestone.

o

I used limestone tile on my counter and bath deck (seagrass) and a look alike in the shower so I could clean it with anything I want. I am careful with the limestone and don't set products or coffee cups on it, anything that maybe could stain or etch. I just wipe it down with a wet cloth and it looks good as new (almost 2 years old). I don't find it soft at all and have had no problems with scratching, but different types may be different. I think getting a sample and seeing how durable it is would be smart, especially with a light color.

o

All of our bathrooms have limestone counters. They were sealed by the fabricator, with what I do not know. We haven't had any problems and have been in our home over six years. That said, you do need to be careful what you put/spill on them.

We bathe our dogs in the shower, which has travertine and it hasn't scratch. Limestone is softer than travertine. I was told Limestone is not a good flooring option.

o

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here