Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bill, Mongo, anyone - grout on tile....

Posted by pirula (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 10:01

Hello!

We've installed lovely penny round tiles in the guest bathroom in the basement and they look very nice. I decided I didn't like the white grout so I've stained it. Looks terrific. But there are several spots on the glossy penny round where grout was left, stuck on. Now it's showing like crazy of course since it's gray!

How can I get this off? Is there a solution I can use to help dissolve it? Do I need to scrape it off? And if so, what would be the best tool for this to minimize scratching the tile itself?

This was a DIY job and my DH, who is usually very good at this, had a hell of a time with the penny round. Anyway, we need to fix it. Welcome any advice before I start scraping.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bill, Mongo, anyone - grout on tile....

Depends on how heavy it's on the face of the tile. Obviously you want to use the lightest implement possible. I'd start with a single edged razor blade. but be careful-- it may leave metal marks. If it does, they CAN be removed with bartenders friend, but it'd be nice if you could get away without it. If that doesn't work, try a 5 in 1 painters tool. If you can get it down to nothing more than just a minute amount, then you can hit it with a non-acid haze remover and it should take the rest off.

o
RE: Bill, Mongo, anyone - grout on tile....

Thank you. Just spent some time on the John Bridge forum as well, they suggest the razor, vinegar, patience and barkeeper's friend as needed. Will try!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here