Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabigabatini

Can we talk toilet paper holders?

sabigabatini
14 years ago

What does everyone have or prefer? closed/spring, open sided (the kind where you can just slip the roll over a bar), or one of those pedestal things that you can move around wherever?

I'm looking on Amazon and who ever knew how many choices and styles there were!

p.s. Personally I'm leaning toward the open kind that you slip the roll onto... just seems so easy on/off... and I realize I really dislike the traditional spring types!

Here is a link that might be useful: Open toilet paper holder

Comments (68)

• trudymom
    14 years ago

I have the open sided and love it. I remember worrying about the tp falling off--never has.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Open-sided here as well. LOVE them...

Just be sure you get one that is meant for horizontal installation. It will have some type of cap or return on the open side that keeps the roll on. It's smaller than the tube inner diameter, so the tube just slips over it, but when the TP roll is resting on the bar, there's enough of a cap/lip/return to keep it from slipping off. By contrast, the ones meant for VERTICAL installation have no cap at all. If you mounted that sideways the tp would indeed slip off.

• ckstjamj22
    14 years ago

Mine is horizontal, has no lip, and it doesn't fall off. Just make sure you install it so that when you pull on the TP, you are pulling in the direction of the closed rather than open end of the holder.

• debrawnelson
    14 years ago

I have a question for all of you owners of open-ended toilet paper holders: does the arm that holds the roll work its way loose all the time?

I renovated a bathroom last fall and installed a Rohl Country Bath open arm toilet paper holder. Every couple of months, the arm works its way loose and falls off. After having to reattach it several times, Rohl replaced it under warranty. The new one was very tight when first installed, but I could tell it was loosening up over time, and it fell off last night. The salesperson says she's never had this problem with Rohl before. It's really a pain to reattach the arm, and it's unacceptable to me that I would have to with such a supposedly high quality product. Would love to hear whether any of you have had similar problems. Right now I am wishing I had gone with the old standby spring-loaded toilet paper holder.

Thanks for your feedback!

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

i'll never get those spring load things again. i prefer open sided, mounted away from whatever direction you pull the paper.

• sabigabatini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I ended up getting an open-sided toilet paper holder that is also on a pedestal, so I can place it wherever, AND not drill another hole into my new bathroom. It's shiny polished chrome and I LOVE IT! Got it on Amazon:

Here is a link that might be useful: open-ended tp holder/pedestal

• drjoann
    14 years ago

We're going to get a double post pivoting holder. Much easier to change the roll, but don't have to worry about it falling off.

Jo Ann

• debrawnelson
    14 years ago

Thanks for responses, but maybe my question was not clear. We are not having a problem keeping the actual roll of TP on the holder, it's the arm that the roll goes on that keeps coming off the wall bracket. There is a set screw inside the bracket to hold the arm on the bracket, and we keep having to take the wall bracket off the wall, take the wall bracket apart, reattach the arm, tighten the set screw way down inside the wall bracket, then reattach the wall bracket to the wall. It holds for a short while but then I can tell that it's coming loose again. My contractor says they all do this, but it doesn't seem right to me, especially considering what I paid for Rohl quality (or not?). Anyone else having this problem?

• daisy_zone5
    14 years ago

Freshman,

I read your post to my hubby and he says there is a product to keep screws tight (name escapes us), however, the product is a liquid where you coat the thread of a screw and tighten as normal.

There are two types: green and red. Green to keep normal screws such as your set screw tight, and red for high torque bolts used in automobile engines and such like, which you certainly do not need for a toilet paper holder.

Go to any hardware store and tell them what you need. They should be able to help you.

Hope this helps.

• debrawnelson
    14 years ago

Daisy zone5: thanks so much for that information! I will definitely check it out at my neighborhood hardware store. I appreciate your help!

• magmasilk
    14 years ago

we just installed a holder that that looks like a spring loaded except works like parking gate arm that piviots to raise and lower. Hopefully easy load paper like open designs but less likely for the paper to accidentally fall off. the product is from moen (iso).

• lee676
    13 years ago

Here's something new:

Kohler Kelston, not sure if a pivoting arm would make it easier to change rolls, but it's inventive.

• sabigabatini
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So that can be upright or horizontal depending on what you prefer?

• pepperidge_farm
    13 years ago

freshman and daisy zone5

I believe what you are thinking of is called loctite...

• gobruno
    13 years ago

Pivoting! We had them in our old house, and we loved them. They are easy to change--just lift the arm, and I like the look better than the open ones. Moen and Delta make a bunch of nice looking ones.

• bikrchc
    13 years ago

I have a single bar open-ended toilet paper holder and it works perfectly. Just think about where you want to position it on the wall so you can grab the paper properly.

• pastaff
    13 years ago

Ugh...wish I would have read this thread this am. I just went out and bought TP holders for our new house and got the standard spring loaded, dh already installed them. Have second thoughts, esp about ds' bathroom, he could have changed the TP by himself with the open ended. Oh well they can be changed out down the road if needed, just a little spackle and touch up paint! Patty

• User
    13 years ago

I vote for open ended too...they're so much easier!

• Katy
    13 years ago

I like the idea of the slip over the end type of holder. I'm just afraid my cats would discover a nifty new toy when then managed to knock the roll off.

As it is with the spring kind I have to make sure I put the roll on the right way. If the cats can hit it and it unrolls paper all over the floor then they have a grand old time.

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

Thank goodness my cat hasn't figured that out! It's bad enough she pulled all the ends off the door stops. We had to replace them all with ones with hard plastic ends instead of the rubberized ones that were fun to chew and bat under the fridge....hehe

• Newyorking
    13 years ago

I prefer closed. I used Smedbo with a lid, and prefer it to open. The open one slips out sometimes and gets in the way, but the one with the lid looks sleek and hides the toilet paper which gives it a clean look.

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

I have a small dresser that sits against the wall opposite the toilet (in easy reach) and bought a tray that sits on the dresser. The tray holds three full rolls of TP, and that's where the TP is kept. I like it a lot.

The other baths still have the spring-loaded holders that came with the house and I have to say I hate them. Definitely prefer an open one to spring-load. But my favorite is still just putting the rolls in a nice tray.

• peytonroad
    13 years ago

They are about $10 bucks at tj maxx, marshalls etc. I got all mine there.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Calling all cat custodians.....you can buy t.p. holders with a flap over the top of the t.p.. Ugly but saves hundreds of dollars a year in shredded paper. Mine is white plastic, ugliest thing I've ever seen but I know I saw a "nice" one somewhere in my travels and have since lost it. Should have bookmarked it but at the time I thought "Everybody" made one. Not so. BTW spray paint can hide ugly things like that.

I saw an Old Fashioned kind on eBay that I would really like to have - Until I added the shipping to the price. It wasn't even the spring loaded. If you're old enough you might remember the wooden spindle with holes in each end for the metal frame to fit. That's the one I wanted. Guess I will get by with what I have. I can't believe the price of toilet paper holders! Unreal! And the one I saw on eBay was not one of those $100+ variety.

• msl511
    13 years ago

I've seen the open ended ones installed at a 45 degree angle, which looks fine to me and makes it even less likely that the roll will come off.

I've been told that the open ended ones and little children can be a bad combination, regardless of how they're mounted.

We're redoing two bathrooms. I use the master bath and will happily install an open ended one. My husband uses the hall bath and only likes the closed, spring loaded ones, just his aesthetic preference. So my latest task has been trying to find a closed ended tp holder that goes with the very modern look in his bathroom, blends well with the specific look of the American Standard Green Tea faucets we're using, comes in a finish that blends with the brushed stainless finish he picked and costs less than $100 (because I just cannot bring myself to even consider paying 3 figures for a tp holder and think I think the numbers close to that are ridiculous, too, but I've got to give myself some manuevering room here). Frankly, he's lucky he's cute. Contemporary style bathroom accessories run much more to the one sided than the two for tp holders. Who knew?

• widmark
    9 years ago

I mounted a horizontal TP holder vertically for space reasons. Problem is, the TP rolls awkwardly dangle at an angle off the TP holder. The TP holder uses a compression spring spindle rod.

Is there such a thing as a replacement vertical tp spindle rod that either has a bottom plate to hold the tp roll flat on the rod, or that expands to the size of the to roll to grip it in a more proper vertical alignment?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Your have awakened a thread that is over four years old. I think you will have more luck beginning a new one asking about a vertical TP holder. Things that are that old sometimes are no longer available.

-Babka

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I just mounted my open-ended one vertically -works great.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Freshman, I have one in the downstairs bath that does that. My first fix was to flip it around so the open end was at the other side. This kept the screw from working loose, but you had to be careful not to pull the roll off. Then I changed it back the other way, with a squirt of Loctite on the screw and it's been good ever since :)

• silverfox16
    8 years ago

I love our tp holder. Who knew one could get so excited about tp! We have the Kohler K-37054 pivotal. It's closed but has a swing-up bar that is a cinch to change and the tp cannot fall off. Love, love, love it.

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

I like to keep my floors as clear as possible so I wouldn't care for the stand. The spring loaded type is "anti-male" so we have and love the opened ended ones. They're the same in both baths only different finishes. The open end sticks up enough so that it doesn't tend to fall off.

• azdesertgal
    8 years ago

I replaced both bath room fixtures about 5 years ago and the matching TP holder was one with the open arm. UGGGHHHH. Only wish it had been the spring type which is so superior in many ways. Anyway, this one after a few years and the weight of the rolls began to slip downwards. At this angle the rolls do not stay in place long. Am forever pushing up the arm which stays in place such a short time and then the TP is on the floor. May have to now replace everything.

• sail_away
    8 years ago

In our current home we have the following Delta tp holder. You simply lift the middle bar on one side, slide the old roll off and the old one on, then snap the middle bar back down again. Super easy, clean looking, and no more springs flying off.

Delta Linden tp holder

For our new home, we will be installing the following open end tp holders, as this house should be our retirement home eventually and we thought it would be good to have some grab bars in the bathrooms. This tp holder combines the tp holder with the grab bar. Haven't installed yet, so can't comment on its usability.

Moen TP Holder-Grab Bar Combo

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

This is a really old thread, but since resurrected I'll add:

Some of the open end TP holders are designed in such a way as to only work well on the right-hand side of the toilet, otherwise you will forever need to readjust and tighten the screw to keep it straight.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Errant, I cannot even fathom what that means. Why would it be different based on which side of the toilet you put it on?

• Bunny
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm scratching my head too. I happen to have an open-ended TP holder on the left-hand side of the toilet, my only option. Although I like the look and convenience, with only one screw to anchor it, it's a minor PITA to keep straight. I visited a friend's house last week and the TP was in a similar holder on the right-hand side of the toilet. Same issue. I think a possible solution is have a two-screw fastening arrangement on the single end. That would keep it from turning.

• enduring
    8 years ago

here's my TP holder. Im the only one who uses it. It has been just fine.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    8 years ago

Enduring- Up is the answer. Perfect.

-Babka

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Righty tighty, lefty loosey...

I just changed one out that gets mounted on the vanity, to the left of the toilet (when, ahem, seated). You keep the open end toward the wall, so the roll doesn't go skittering along the floor if someone yanks at it. The screw eventually loosens up with use, because people pull in a lefty (counter-clockwise) motion.

i tried locking washers and loc-tight, but it would always loosen up within a week. The exact same holder in another bath, but mounted on the right doesn't have that issue.

• Hunzi
    8 years ago

I'm a traditionalist. I have the Ginger Chelsea two posts holders. Yeah the springy things are little bit of a pain, but they stay where they're supposed to. The last undone bathroom (the 1925 Second Floor Bathroom) has a cheap awful wooden two post holder - I should just spend a few bucks.

• maries1120
    8 years ago

I am starting to look at these for our mini-remodel. We have an open one now that is a pain. The roll either comes off or the holder loosens up and falls off. Maybe there are some with better designs. I like the idea of the pivot ones but have only seen those by Delta and Moen which doesn't have a square towel ring that I like - very few of these.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

I like the overall design of open-ended holders. My GC originally installed mine with the open end out because the tiny, nearly invisible screw is supposed to be on the bottom. 9 out of 10 times I'd pull the entire roll off the holder. I had to move it and flip it. I think the weight (albeit slight) of a toilet roll, plus the pull action, contrive to loosen the single anchor screw. It would be so easy to design an anchor plate with two screws for stability.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Mine is totally stable and it's on the left side. Maybe we have it anchored with two screws (I didn't install it so I don't know).

• User
    8 years ago

We have 2 "Latitude" open ended holders from Gatco in the upstairs bathrooms. Each is held by two screws. They're rock solid. Love the minimal look too. But this time around we're looking at something different for the powder room we're remodeling. There are so many to choose from.

This one comes in a variety of strong colors:

Too 1st apartment? And too much work to switch to a new roll?

Bookshelf, plus extra roll:

Too rustic for us, but I like the simplicity of this one:

• maries1120
    8 years ago

The top 3 are so funny! I also like the shelf one. You could keep the poo-pouri handy!

• enduring
    8 years ago

I've never seen this before but I like it. It is mounted by 2 screws.

• elpaso1
    8 years ago

I put the ones that have the center bar pivot in my house. Easy to change rolls, but rolls won't fall off. More stable than the single bar that is open ended.

The quick connect clips make installation a breeze, and no set screws to have loosen.

• PRO
    Go
    last year

Some questions here are aimed at a product for keeping screws from ununwinding. the answer is a dab of nontoxic Elmers school glue or a dab of hot glue.

• PRO
    YIGII
    last year

Brushed Nickel Toilet Paper Holder,it was large, so I never had to worry about running out of paper towels in the toilet.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals