Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marshallv_gw

Master Bath Remodel Layout Review

marshallv
11 years ago

Hello all,
We purchased a new to us house about 6 months ago and after tackling alot of small projects we are ready to redo the master bath. Attached is the current layout for reference. Our goals, in addition to updating all the finishes, are to eliminate the big tub that we never use, make a bigger more usable shower and maximize closet space.

The one thing that sort of limits the layout i suppose is a 4x4 picture window (obscured) over the tub that i really would rather leave in place.

The current plan moves the shower to where the current tub is and incorporates the old shower into a nook for shelving, etc. in one of the closets. Check out the sketches and please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Marshall

Comments (8)

• marshallv
    Original Author
    11 years ago

New Plan.....

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

That former shower space is going to be wasted, inaccessible space. Why not turn one of your closets into the shower and have the rest as closet space?

Dimensions would help tremendously here too.

Good job changing the inswing WC door to a pocket door. Great safety switch.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I think that it will work. If that space is large enough to be a shower it's probably large enough for some shelves. In my former home we had a walk in closet that was only 6 x 6 and we had clothes hanging on both sides and there was enough room in the center to access them. It looks like the space here is 5 feet wide??

The important thing is to get that window waterproofed properly. I would also double check from the outside at night to see how obscure that glass really is!

• marshallv
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kirkhall,

The scale is the little square next to BR is 1SF. So each graph paper square is 6" x 6". the overll room is about 16 x 12. In final plan, shower is 4x6.

The only thing i couldn't figure out is that if don't incorporate the window into the shower, it will wind up in a closet, which seems odd to me especially considering it's a good size window.

Regarding the little closet nook - yes it's small but at about 32" wide, we could put floor to ceiling 8" shelves on the wall by the vanity and it would make a nice shoe wall for DW with about 24" of passage space. Tight, but seems functional.

If you have an idea for a layout that would A) keep two closets and B) ditch the tub i would love to see it.

Thank you again for looking and commenting.
    Marshall

• Karenseb
    11 years ago

I think I'd rather like two vanities on that 10 foot wall with a linen cabinet between them. (no shoe closet) I don't think the person at the right vanity is going to want to be so close to the wall as it is now drawn. I like the window in your bathroom, if it can take the water!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Well, here are a few ideas to consider.

- stacked washer/dryer

- if there is not another tub in the house, just replace the shower with a standard 30x60 tub

- turn that old shower area into a step-in linen closet (my favorite at the moment)

- off season linen/coat/etc storage

- if you have pets, what about a tiled, raised "shower" at waist height for pet bathing? I think beaglesdoitbetter has a dedicated pet bathing area if I remember right.

- second toilet! Or urinal? Someone brought that up in another thread and it sounds interesting. I might add that to my list for our next house.

- put a vanity on each side of the window along the short walls. Use one of the closets for the shower. The current vanity space can be dressers, or hanging space, or makuo area, or linen storage, or cabinets with hampers inside, or small seating area.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

This is my first stab at bathrooms, but what if you were to do an L vanity from the end of the toilet wall and on the top wall. Then the rest of the window wall could be enlarged shower. I like when the glass for the shower extends up off a vanity. The closet could go at the bottom where the vanity now is. Crazy?? If so... blame the wine.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Lol, remodelfla! I had a huge run of rum-inspired ideas tonight, as you can see. Got to find your "recipe" on kitchens, something about "sublime"?